Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dassa Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2009, 12:12 PM
    Looking for alternative to rice
    Please help me I am trying to control my weight I eat a lot of rice but I have now started to eat couscous which I find is delicious tell me is it fattening or is it a good substitute for rice.
    Cedric J Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2009, 01:04 PM

Try eating whole grain rice. It's much healthier for you as the carbohydrates it has are complex (rather than simple like white rice) Then try to eat rice that uses less butter or oil to make
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2009, 01:36 PM

You can also try things like pasta and they make that in whole grains and wheat now. It just that whatever you eat you've to eat it in moderation.

To make sure you don't over eat they have many different measuring plates you can buy for your food. I brought one and it works for me. Also, you should always have more vegatables on your plate than anything else.
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2009, 02:59 PM

Try eating cauliflower. Cook it and mash it and it makes a great substitute for rice, about a quarter of the calories, lots of fibre and vitamin K and other good stuff.
    NJExit9 Posts: 31, Reputation: -1

Mar 7, 2009, 09:09 PM

The biggest mistake is adding oil or butter to your rice. You use a rice steam cooker and you don't have to add anything! 1/2 cup is 170 calories prepared to make 3/4 cup portion. Add Scallops, Tuna Fish, Vegetables to give it flavor and healthy protein and complex carbs for energy. It's a real fulfilling lunch in itself. Drink with 16 oz of water or heck even Diet Soda and you will be completely full immediately or after 20 minutes when your brain finally registers you are full. Sounds weird but it's a fact the brain has a delay with telling you are full...

Mar 7, 2009, 09:14 PM
    I recently switched to Long Grain Brown Rice. It's a little Firmer and almost identical when you look at the nutrients chart but it is a Grain not bleached and has a little more fiber. Overall its incredibly healthier in the long run.. For Dinner I will take a whole Bag Of PicSweet Veggie Steamer which averages only 125 calories for the entire bag and mix in Scallops, Salmon, Or mostly Marinade Chicken Breast. 300 calories total for your dinner main course! Drink water and wait 20 minutes... If you are still hungry eat an apple, orange, yogurt, or grapefruit... Stay away from Bread maybe 1 slice of whole grain if you can't help yourself... Why? Because after 6 pm your metabolism is naturally shutting down for the rest of the night and you should really be eating this AFTER doing a 30 minute workout.

Mar 7, 2009, 09:17 PM
    Couscous... Umm Stay clear of that. Its only 2 scoops for 200 calories. That's not going to fill you up. May be a tasty alternative but if you want to maintain a healthy calorie deficit, avoid from that being a major substitute for rice.. Remember you should get in 3 whole cups of veggies during your day...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why does White Rice Cost Less than Brown Rice? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, Everyone, I have been consuming brown rice for years, but today, while discussing the differences between brown rice and white rice with my girlfriend, she asked me why white rice would cost less if it requires so much more energy to process it (by process, I mean milling it, polishing it,...

Cooking rice [ 30 Answers ]

I love to cook, but sometimes my rice comes out better than others and its so annoying ! Im still learning how to cook, anyone have any suggestions, thanks.

Rice Recipe [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know the recipe for basmati rice that has the crust on the bottom. I think it is steamed with a towel over the pot? Thanks ~

Rice Cooker [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have a National Rice Cooker Model SR-GE18N, Last week , the displace show (H3),and all function stop, seems have some code to lock all functon, I worder any body have the same problem or any solution. Thanks

Rice & Beans [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I am looking for a recipe for rice & beans (red beans). Also what kind of rice (long grain, med grain, etc) Anyone out there have a good one. Thanks in advance

View more questions Search