Volume of NaCl (cm^3) 3.97
    Density of NaCl (g/cm^3) 2.16
    Molar Mass of NaCl 5.84E+01
    Mass of NaCl Unit Cell (g) 3.88E-22
    Volume of NaCl Unit Cell (cm^3) 1.80E-22
    Edge Length of NaCl unit cell (cm) 5.65E-08
    Edge Length of NaCl unit cell (pm) 565
    Length fof Diagonal (pm) 978

But the radius of the ion a cation are different so how do I go about calculatin each of them? Should I have done something different in my procedure?
    jeffinnport Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Feb 5, 2009, 02:32 PM
    From the numbers you are showing, I'll assume you started with the following knowns:
    Volume, density and molar mass of NaCl

You're calculations were OK down to the point that you calculated the diagonal. You calculated the diagonal of the cube that represent the unit cell, you should have calculated the diagonal of the face of the unit cell. That's because NaCl is face centered. If you were dealing with a crystal that was body centered, then you would used the diagonal of the cube.

If you calculate the diagonal of the face of the unit cell, you can divide that by 4 to get the radius of Cl.

To get the radius of Na in a NaCl crystal, subtract twice the Cl radius from the face length, and then divide that number by 2.

You are correct that the radii of the ions in the crystal are different than their atomic radius in elemental form. A cation will have a smaller radius in ionic form, and an anion will have a larger radius in ionic form.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Radius Doubled [ 5 Answers ]

If the radius of a circle is doubled, by what factor will the area change? Thanks

Atomic radius [ 1 Answers ]

How do you calculate the atomic radius for Argon?:confused:

A radius [ 24 Answers ]

Picture a chair back(bench) 50" wide,25" high(right now its square) I would like to build a radius approx. 2-3' drop on each end,using the full height in the center. Any ideas how I can make a flowing curve like this? Ken

Radius of chamber [ 1 Answers ]

At an amusement park there is a ride in which cylindrically shaped chambers spin around a central axis. People sit in seats facing the axis, their backs against the outer wall. At one instant the outer wall moves at a speed of 3.30 m/s, and an 80.3-kg person feels a 517-N force pressing against his...

Density, radius and g [ 9 Answers ]

The earth has density rho(p) and radius R. the gravitational field strength at the surface is g. what is the gfs at the surface of a planet of density 2p and radius 2R. A g B 2g C 4g D 16g what is the equation I would use to solve this

View more questions Search