Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    luckylab Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2009, 08:47 AM
    Do I need TMP Line
    Hello. I have been told that my water heater needs to be replaced. The plumber said they will have to install a TMP line or valve. Water Heater is in the basement and there is not a drain in the room where the water heater is. He said this will bring us up to code and that it will cost $165.00. Do I really need this and is that a reasonable price for this item? Thank you!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 5, 2009, 03:55 PM

Did he say TMP or T&P? If this is a T&P valve you are being taken.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 5, 2009, 04:54 PM

In your situation, and w/o functional floor drain, the T&P run off line should be terminated on the exterior of the house. If plumber has to run 3/4" copper line to the outside, than the charge is fine.
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2009, 11:50 AM

I agree with milo. If the t & p [temperature and pressure] valve discharges, you do not want either the volume of water nor the heat of that water inside your home.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 8, 2009, 04:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by luckylab View Post
    Hello. I have been told that my water heater needs to be replaced. The plumber said they will have to install a TMP line or valve. Water Heater is in the basement and there is not a drain in the room where the water heater is. He said this will bring us up to code and that it will cost $165.00. Do I really need this and is that a reasonable price for this item? Thank you!
    I think you're being ripped. In my area it's acceptable to install a heater pan,(see image) and have the T & P discharge line drain directly into the heater pan,(see image). Having said that it's always better to both pan the heater and direct the pan drain and the T & P dicharge to the outside. Good luck and thank you for rating my answer. Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 9, 2009, 10:21 AM

PVC is inexpensive. If he plans on using PVC than the price appears to be bit too high...

However, Code in my area of operation tells me that water hater has to be drain using rigid discharge pipe. Call your local Inspector and ask him what materials should be used...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rewiring second phone line to connect to main line. [ 7 Answers ]

I have two separate phone lines in home.. main line and second line in bedroom #2. I am cancelling my second line number as I will be using DSL in that room where computer is at. Phone company said I could rewire jack in bedroom #2 to connect to main line and could do this myself, but need some...

Connection to gas range gas line too large for gas line intake valve [ 2 Answers ]

Connection to gas range gas line too large for gas line intake valve. How can I step the range back line down a step. Is there some kind of converter I can buy?

How do I eliminate/rewire my DSL/Fax line to home phone line? [ 1 Answers ]

Line 1 is a Verizon DSL/dedicated fax line in my office. Line 2 is my home phone. It would cost $95 for Verizon to come to my home for approx. 10 minutes or less to rewire the DSL/Fax so I can eliminate the extra (fax) line. Do I rewire through the NI box on the outside of my home? Any phone...

How to rewire and extra line to the main phone line at the demarc [ 1 Answers ]

I cannot afford to pay ATT 99.00 to rewire a non-working phone jack to the demarc. How is this done? The main phone line is working.

Replaced Main Water Line, Now Shower Line Is Clogged [ 3 Answers ]

We had a leak, so we had the water line and sewage line from the house to the street replaced. Now we have no water in the shower. Some debris most have clogged up the line coming into the shower. All the other lines are fine. My Dad is somewhat of a handyman and wants to fix the problem...

View more questions Search