Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dsipl Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2009, 08:08 PM
    Huge Tax Bill Due that can't be paid now! Options?
    I had to take a huge withdrawal from my 401K, and now have to pay a huge tax bill. However, I don't have the funds available for such a large payment. IS there a way to spread this payment out over several years without huge penalties and interests? Or, is there some sort of way to average out my AGI for the past 5 years and forward to lower the amount due this year? I am 63, so there is no penalty for my withdrawal from my 401K, but just the income tax due is way too much. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 4, 2009, 11:04 PM

Make a Short-time Payment Arrangement with IRS. Click on the Online Payment Agreement link and follow the prompts. By entering some basic information about their tax situation, eligible taxpayers can set up in a matter of minutes either a short-term payment extension or a monthly payment plan. A short-term extension gives a taxpayer up to 120 days to pay. No fee is charged, but the late-payment penalty plus interest will apply.

Apply for Installment Agreement. A monthly payment plan or installment agreement gives a taxpayer more time to pay. Though interest still applies, the late-payment penalty is cut in half for any month an installment agreement is in effect. This reduced rate of 0.25 percent (1/4 of 1 percent) per month is only available if the tax return was filed on time.

A user fee will also be charged if the installment agreement is approved. The fee, normally $105, is reduced to $52, if taxpayers agree to make their monthly payments electronically through electronic funds withdrawal. The fee is $43 for eligible low-and-moderate-income taxpayers.

Alternatively, taxpayers can apply for a payment agreement by filling out Form 9465, Installment Agreement Request. This form can be filed along with either an electronically filed return or a paper return. If filing on paper, be sure to attach it to the front of the return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Huge Gap between H1 and SSN [ 1 Answers ]

Hello! My wife got her H1 approved starting Oct 2008. However, we were not able to apply her SSN due to some circumstances. Now, we are almost in the middle of January 2009. I am really concerned as to what happens now. Can she apply for SSN? Is she out of status? Her employer has not generated...

Court papers served on a paid credit card bill [ 1 Answers ]

How do I respond back to the superior court on a summons that I have paid the bill in full. I have a letter written by the collection agent that states that I have paid this amount in full. What court papers do I need to fill out because they have requested "a written response in proper legal...

Bill paid off 4 months ago.Still Garnishing [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I had a credit card debt from college that I paid off in May. I Just got paid Friday and found out that they just started Garnishing 20% of my wages... I was wondering what one should do about this? I got confirmation that the debt had been paid... after fighting with them for 2 months...

Paid only 20% of my bill after car accident settlement [ 7 Answers ]

We gave treatment to a car accident Patient & Patient's Attorney is paying only 20% of our total bill as final payment. This amount doesn't cover our total expenses for this Patient at all. Patient signed a medical lien prior to the treatment. Attorney is saying that they settled this Patient's...

I need huge help! [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm making a project for my school and I need to know some things about electrical subjects. 1- what's a 1900 box? 2- what's a j box? 3- what's EMT? 4- how many general circuits in a residential kitchen, what size wire, and how many amps per circuit? 5- if you found a yellow, orange, or...

View more questions Search