Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LAWSummer Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2009, 06:57 PM
    Writ of Execution - PA
    Hi, Today I received a writ of execution which seized by bank accounts. The judgement is for much more than I have in the bank. I am concerned because my paycheck is direct deposit which goes into one of the accounts that has a hold put on it. I tried to stop my direct deposit for my payday this Friday, but it it too late. I am very very concerned since I'm not sure how I am going to pay for rent, food, etc.. And I have a 2 year old. I'm just wondering if it is legal for them to take every cent that I have? I'm not sure what to do..
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2009, 06:37 AM
    Hello L:

Pennsylvania is one of only four states that does not allow wage garnishment for credit card/collection agency lawsuits. But, there are conditions.

First, the individual must live and work in PA to be protected. Second, the lawsuit must have been filed in Pennsylvania as well. If you can meet all three of the listed criteria, your wages cannot be garnished.

If they CAN be, they shouldn't be able to take more than 25% till the judgment is satisfied. However, once the money hits the bank, they can take it ALL.

excon
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2009, 12:04 PM

Unfortunately they have the writ for your bank account and they can keep taking money out of this bank account until the writ is satisfied. You will not be able to stop them from taking your paycheck this week, but you need to stop the direct deposit into that account for next payday so you can have something to live on. Had they done a garnishment of your wages instead of writ of execution on your bank account, at least you would have had some money to live on. Now you don't have that option. If you know the law firm that has the writ of execution on your account, can you call them up and make some sort of payment arrangements so you can at least continue to somehow live until the judgment is satisfied?
    maureen129 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2013, 02:43 PM
    I received a writ of execution because I owe 14000.00 dls on a credit card. They already put a lien on my home and froze my cking account. Can they come in my home and take my personal belongings such as furniture etc. I live in pa
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 10, 2013, 06:10 AM
    ... Can they come in my home and take my personal belongings such as furniture etc ...
    In theory, yes. But it almost never happens because the value of your personal stuff is probably under the exemption amount.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Writ of execution [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I'm confused I just got a letter from a credit company and got a judgement against me in court now I have this writ of exeucution I checked my bank acct. this mornig and I guess its frozenI can't get any money out of my acct. its seems frozen what can I do can the just take my money out of my...

Writ of execution [ 8 Answers ]

In PA... District court issued a judgment against me for $458.45 on 10/11/07. It was issued as "Defendant to pay to the Plaintiff $40.00/month till paid. First payment due on 11/12/07." So I paid $40.00 on 11/12, and have paid $40.00 every month since, no exceptions. To date I have paid her...

Writ of execution [ 7 Answers ]

1) Is there a way to find out if a writ of execution was submitted to withdraw money from bank account? 2) I want to withdraw money from my 401 k to pay some debt down, if there is a writ can they touch that money ?

Writ of execution [ 1 Answers ]

Can my fed and state tax refunds be garnished with a writ of execution, and will I be notified before hand

View more questions Search