Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JMF 20 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2009, 06:22 PM
    Do you think there are other worlds like ours?
    Im sorry but is there any chance that there are other worlds that sustain life just like ours? (Yeah, maybe not humans but as in life that is as/more intellegent as our own)
    It has bothered me for some time and i would like to know some opinions on this theory.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2009, 06:46 PM

It seems very likely.
    FlyYakker Posts: 378, Reputation: 41

Feb 4, 2009, 07:02 PM

Given the vast numbers of galaxies with vast numbers of stars in them, some percentage of which may have livable planets, certainly there is a chance that there is intelligent life somewhere. Even if it is a small percentage of stars with livable planets, it is a small percentage of an inconceivably large number. So you have the odds working for you that at least one planet has intelligent life..
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2009, 11:25 PM

Hi, JMF 20!

I also think that there is the likelihood that there is intelligent life somewhere else out there.

Is there a particular reason that you're coming on somewhat apologetic and also seeming to be bothered by not knowing the answer to your question, please?

Thanks!
    sarnian Posts: 462, Reputation: 9
    -

Feb 7, 2009, 02:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JMF 20 View Post
    Im sorry but is there any chance that there are other worlds that sustain life just like ours? (Yeah, maybe not humans but as in life that is as/more intellegent as our own). It has bothered me for some time and i would like to know some opinions on this theory.
    That is what you will get : opinions, and nothing else.
    I do not see anywhere any "theory" here. Just a suggestion (or even more a query) about other worlds that sustain life (like ours). I assume you mean intelligent life with that.

With hundreds of Billions of galaxies, with each hundreds of Billions of solar systems, there is good reason to assume that in any of these many thousands x Billion x Billion solar systems there are at least several where planets orbit within the goldilocks zone.

Goldilocks zone : the zone within orbit limits where water is possible to form as a liquid. Water is an essential requirement to allow life (as we know it) to form.

Seen the quantities of solar systems involved, millions of such planets should be around.
    With so many potential life-baring planets it would be strange if life would only have developed on planet earth. So we may safely assume that there are millions of planets that carry life.

The much more difficult question is the one about intelligent life.
    Earth is around 4,3 Billion years old, and although it took approx. 0,5 Billion years for single celled life to start here, it took another approx. 3 Billion years for single celled life to develop into multi celled life, that allowed through evolution the explosion into all kinds of different lifeforms, which in the end led to life as it is today.

A very important influence for earth in this process was the result of an early collision with another planet or planetisimal that resulted in our out-of-any-proportion big moon, that helped to stabilize the earth rotation angle against the earth orbit path, resulting in stable summers and winters.

Another later influence on earth's climate (essential for the development of "higher" life forms) was the build-up of CO2 reserves in the earth crust instead of the CO2 remaining in the atmosphere, where it would have caused Venus-like conditions due to green house effect and the over-time increasing radiation effects of the sun.

Nobody can guarantee you that there are worlds similar to planet earth, with so much abundant life. Local conditions have too much influence on that, and these planets are most probably far to far away for us to ever find out.

So if you want to hear my "guesstimate" : sure, seen the numbers involved it is highly likely that there are many, many planets that have by now developed intelligent life.

Epiloque :

However : "intelligent life" does not mean INTELLIGENT life. Humanity is destroying it's own habitat in it's insane quest for more and more, fed by personal greed, and at the expense of everyone and anything else. Not very good for the most intelligent species on planet earth !

As to alien intelligent life : I hope that - if they exist - we will never hear from them, because - if they in anyway resemble us (and why should they not?) they could very well be an enormous threat to our own existence.
    survivorboi Posts: 431, Reputation: 9

Feb 8, 2009, 09:02 AM

Yeah! There is a big possibility that there are many worlds like us in the Milky Way alone! And think of it this way: let's say there is 5 planets with life in the Milky Way. Now there is BILLIONS of galaxies like the Milky Way in the universe. So 5 times all those possibilities is a quite of a number...

But of course, INTELLIGENT species will be a LOT lower then just plain simply LIFE like bacterias and virus.
    -

Feb 8, 2009, 06:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by survivorboi
    But of course, INTELLIGENT species will be a LOT lower then just plain simply LIFE like bacterias and virus.
    Yes. And just being intelligent is no indication of wisdom and a positive attitude.

Reason the more to repeat my previous Epiloque :

However : "intelligent life" does not mean INTELLIGENT life (style). Humanity is destroying it's own habitat in it's insane quest for more and more, fed by personal greed, and at the expense of everyone and anything else.
    Not very good for the most intelligent species on planet earth !

As to alien intelligent life : I hope that - if they exist - we will never hear from them, because - if they in anyway resemble us in attitude (and why should they not?) they could very well be an enormous threat to our own existence.
    survivorboi Posts: 431, Reputation: 9

Feb 8, 2009, 06:23 PM

Yes, did you know that there was a theory saying that a long time ago, there were a whole bunch of civilizations. But as it grows and advances, it was engaged in battles and wars. Soon, the whole civilization was destroyed, by it's own inhabitants. So they say that, maybe we might be able to find ruins of those civilizations...
    -

Feb 9, 2009, 05:02 PM
    survivorboi

As I stated in previous posts : first there is the idea/suggestion, which may develop into a thesis, and with lot's of research and support in the end may become a scientific theory.
    So there is no theory on whole bunches of early civilizations.
    Note that this is a science board, not a philosophy or science fiction/fantasy board.

There may be many suggestions about 'long time ago civilizations'.
    The oldest we know about are those of the Inca's, the Chinese and other Eastern, the Mediterranean, and the early African civilizations. That is up to approx. 10.000 years ago.
    There may have been earlier important civilizations, but no ruins of such possible older civilizations have ever been found, so they are more in the realm of science fantasy.

And even if there were, they do not have anything to do with the topic, that is about alien worlds.
    FlyYakker Posts: 378, Reputation: 41

Feb 9, 2009, 05:32 PM

A relevant article. BBC NEWS | Science & Environment | Number of alien worlds quantified
    JMF 20 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2009, 05:04 PM

Thank you all so much for your opinions. And especially FlyYakker and Sarnian. Thanks for taking the time to help!!
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2009, 05:52 PM

I think there is a bloody good chance that there is another planet out there in the vast universe that supports life, maybe as you said 'life that is as/more intellegent as our own' but I think there is an equal chance that we could be the more advanced species :)
    -

Feb 10, 2009, 07:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by albear
    .... i think there is an equal chance that we could be the more advanced species
    No, there is no reason at all to suggest an equal chance that ours is the more advanced species. With billions of possible "alien worlds" the chance that we are a junior species is much more likely. What is the basis of your suggestion?
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2009, 07:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sarnian View Post
    No, there is no reason at all to suggest an equal chance that ours is the more advanced species. With billions of possible "alien worlds" the chance that we are a junior species is much more likely. What is the basis of your suggestion?
    What's the basis of yours, the chance that we meet one is so high but have you ever thought that we might be the ones to find them?
    'With billions of possible "alien worlds" the chance that we are a senior species is much more likely.' - see what I did there
    -

Feb 12, 2009, 12:01 AM
    ... the chance that we meet one is so high but have you ever thought that we might be the ones to find them? ...
    What is YOUR basis for the expectation to meet any of them? We are talking about hundreds and thousands of light years. Unlike in Startrek there is yet no near (nor will there ever be "faster than") light speed, and even if that would be possible (and I seriously doubt that), the social problems due to relativity would not make interstellar travel very popular.

That does not only go for us, but for everything and everyone in the universe, including aliens. THAT is the reason why we so far have not seen any aliens here on earth. And the distances involved is why we have never so far heard of them.

Earth is only 4,3 Billion years old, while the universe is already 13+ Billion years old.
    Take away some 6 to 7 Billion years to build up stocks of heavier elements needed for planets and life, than there are still many Billions years during which life could have developed on other planets.

'With billions of possible "alien worlds" the chance that we are a senior species is much more likely.'
    See above : that is a haughty point of view based on your personal ideas, not on any facts or scientific observations.
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2009, 10:20 AM

Where do you get your facts? we as the human race are a very advanced form of life, seeing what we've created, even the possibility of traveling in space, now considering all the forms of life on this planet that we are the only ones to have done that makes me believe that if we do encounter an alien race (they don't have to talk or communicate which I think your thinking of) even micrscopic lifeforms are alien as long as they come from another world we stand an equal chance of being either the senior or the junior. So that's why I've said what I've said. What's YOUR reasons. - (see I can bold too :) )
    -

Feb 12, 2009, 07:02 PM
    we as the human race are a very advanced form of life, seeing what weve created, even the possibility of traveling in space
    No we have not created the possibility of traveling in space.
    At best we have created the possibility of sending un-manned space ships to other planets within our solar system, of sending 2 extreme slow - by now 'dead' - ships to the outside of our solar system, and of sending a couple of manned spaceships for short trips to the moon.
    I do not call that "traveling in space". That is left to Starwars and Startrek, both Holywood products, but not real life possibilities.

I have answered to the original topic question in full. But if there are other worlds like ours did not include your addition of space-travelling aliens in whatever format.

Your posts suggest some superior human race with almost unlimited capabilities.
    In reality humanity as a group can not even feed all members of its own species on this planet, and is still an aggressive, selfish, superstitious, evolved member of the primate series, which you address as a "very advanced form of life".
    It's all rather relative, though! Yes, advanced as species here on earth. But related to real space-travelling alien species (if they exist) we are just a "developing species with some potential".
    It's very dangerous and haughty to overrate your own capabilities.

All I pointed at is that we are a young species that exists for only a relative short period. We just started understanding the basics of nature. Imagine how advanced an alien species that exists for hundreds of millions of years could be...

It seems more that your enthousiasm is unbridled by the limitations set by physics and nature.
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2009, 07:17 PM
    No we have not created the possibility of traveling in space.
    At best we have created the possibility of sending un-manned space ships to other planets within our solar system, of sending 2 extreme slow - by now 'dead' - ships to the outside of our solar system, and of sending a couple of manned spaceships for short trips to the moon.
    I do not call that "traveling in space". That is left to Starwars and Startrek, both Holywood products, but not real life possibilities.!
    you can call it whatever you like the fact remains that it is still traveling in space no matter what you want to call it or what you think it should be like because of the movies.
    I have answered to the original topic question in full. But if there are other worlds like ours did not include your addition of space-travelling aliens in whatever format.!
    sorry I don't quite get what you mean here?
    Your posts suggest some superior human race with almost unlimited capabilities.
    In reality humanity as a group can not even feed all members of its own species on this planet, and is still an aggressive, selfish, superstitious, evolved member of the primate series, which you address as a "very advanced form of life".
    It's all rather relative, though!
    No my posts suggest our human race but maybe that's because I like to look at things positivly when I can with all the accomplishments that we as a race have made, but that's just me. As for all the things you say humans are may be true for their part that's just your opinion and you can't deny (sp) what we as a race have accomplished and yes we are an advanced form of life I don't see how you can't see that believeing in the evolutionary theory from primates. But maybe you just take all the things we've done for granted and I must say you seem rather defeatist and negative, but again that's just me :)
    -

Feb 12, 2009, 07:45 PM
    .... the fact remains that it is still traveling in space no matter what you want to call it or what you think it should be like because of the movies.
    I think that "movie space travel" is just nice Science Fiction. Nothing more.
    As to "space travel" : all we did so far is jumping in a plastic pool on a beach of a gigantic big ocean.

sorry i dont quite get what you mean here?
    I replied to JMF 20's topic "Do you think there are other worlds like ours?"
    You are the one bringing in aliens and space travel.

... and yes we are an advanced form of life
    We are ON EARTH an "advanced life form". But how far advanced are we if related to alien species (if they exist) ? I say that the chances that we are a very junior species is extremely high.

i dont see how you can't see that believeing in the evolutionary theory from primates.
    I do accept evolution. I question your suggestions that so far are totally unsupported and unrealistic.

maybe you just take all the things weve done for granted and i must say you seem rather defeatist and negative
    What "things" do I take for granted?
    I am neither a defeatist nor negative. I am just a realist.
    I accept the possibility that there are other worlds like earth.
    And I accept the possibility that there is intelligent alien life.
    But I see no grounds for your suggested "superiority" of the human race.
    Please note that this is a science board...
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2009, 08:00 PM
    I think that "movie space travel" is just nice Science Fiction. Nothing more.
    As to "space travel" : all we did so far is jumping in a plastic pool on a beach of a gigantic big ocean.
    so you do acknowledge that we have traveled in space even if it is just a tiny bit :)

I replied to JMF 20's topic "Do you think there are other worlds like ours?"
    You are the one bringing in aliens and space travel.
    actually aliens were mentioned in the op, I brought in space travel in a response to someone's post.

We are ON EARTH an "advanced life form". But how far advanced are we if related to alien species (if they exist) ? I say that the chances that we are a very junior species is extremely high.
    I think you need to rethink you definition of 'alien' look it up on wiki, i.e even a single celled organism can be alien to our world

I do accept evolution. I question your suggestions that so far are totally unsupported and unrealistic.
    no they aren't but you can't seem to reason why, which seems to be my fault because I don't think I'm explaining it so that you'd understand what I'm saying.

What "things" do I take for granted?
    I am neither a defeatist nor negative. I am just a realist.
    I accept the possibility that there are other worlds like earth.
    And I accept the possibility that there is intelligent alien life.
    But I see no grounds for your suggested "superiority" of the human race.
    Please note that this is a science board ....
    Again just what I'm getting back from reading into your posts.
    There are grounds it's a simple matter of odds on what type of life form we meet if we meet any, from single celled to multicellular and onwards.
    You haven't explained why you think we'd be the junior species you keep saying you have but you haven't.

I'm out for the night laters :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Two Worlds United [ 157 Answers ]

Has anyone had any experience with Two Worlds United, a foreign exchange placement service for high school students? I am beyond the frustration level trying to get them to acknowledge me since they failed to place my daughter last September and will not refund me any of the thousands of dollars...

Lost between worlds [ 6 Answers ]

I do not want to be a member of this world. Not in a depressed way, but this world is just so boring in the grand scheme of things. I am not attached to anyone or anything and everything makes too much sense. I do not believe that this is enlightenment because enlightened people usually know what...

Lost in two worlds [ 3 Answers ]

OK well I was was 2 my best friend she tells me the stuff that's going on in chicago because I'm in vacation an I have a girlfriend an my friend told me they went to some party on Sunday an my girlfriend got really messed up drinking an ma friend told me me that she went to go get some more drinks...

Worlds apart [ 1 Answers ]

Me and my fiancé has been separated for three months (since I left the army)she's german and she will be here in two days to get Married that's great but where do I go concerning visas For her to stay here with me what to do?

War of the Worlds [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know where I could find a timeline of all of the events in the book The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

View more questions Search