Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    megnut Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2009, 01:48 PM
    The difference between ceramic tile mastic and thinset?
    I am going to start tackling my bathroom floor and need to know the difference between ceramic tile mastic and thinset mortar? Is one better than the other?
    Bljack Posts: 245, Reputation: 28

Feb 4, 2009, 05:17 PM
    Mastic is a premixed organic adhesive which is ideal for installing ceramic (not stone) in dry locations on walls when the tile is 8x8 or less in size. It requires air to dry and as such, larger format tiles will require an extended drying time prior to grouting. Tiles larger than 8x8 can take days or weeks to dry to the center of the tile. It does offer a great initial grab for vertical surfaces but cannot be used to build up when needed. While it has great shear bond strength, it lacks in compressive strength, meaning it will not support loads well making it a poor choice for floors. When exposed to prolonged moisture, it can re-emulsify making it a poor choice for wet areas such as shower and tub walls.

Thinset is a mixture of portland cement, silica sand and moisture retention agents as the portland cement needs to stay properly hydrated to cure correctly.

Some contain nothing else and are referred to as "unmodified" or "dryset" mortars. The bag will say "meets or exceeds ANSI 118.1" These can be used as is mixed with just water for installations where an unmodified is appropriate, such as the bedding layer for many cement boards or when specified by the manufacturer, such as for setting tile or stone over Ditra or Kerdi membranes.

Some also contain spray dried polymers that enable it to bond to more difficult to bond surfaces or applications requiring properties specifically designed into that particular thinset. These are referred to as "modified thinsets" and get mixed with water only. These are good for general purpose applications, such as setting tile over a slab or cement board in wet or dry areas. The bags will say "meets or exceeds ANSI A118.4" or "118.11" or both.

Drysets cure by chemical reaction only when water is added to the portland cement. Modifieds both cure by chemical reaction of the portland cement and drying out of the polymer component. Higher modified thinsets will often benefit from an extra day of cure time prior to grouting when used under larger format tiles to give the polymer component greater drying time.

In exterior applications or specialty applications such as glass tile, an unmodifed or dryset mortar can be mixed with that manufacturer's liquid polymer admixture instead of water. That combination gives, in general, a higher shear bond strength than a highly modified thinset.

When higher bond strength is desired, some mistakenly think adding an admix to an already modified bagged thinset would make an even stronger thinset. Though it might sound reasonable, it actually results in a weaker product as there is not sufficient ratio of water in the mixture to both emulsify the dry polymers and to properly hydrate the portland cement component of the bagged thinset.

Thinset offers sufficient compressive strength to properly support tiles under load such as they are on floors and because it is a cement product, it will never be affected by water when used to set tile in wet areas. Thinsets can also be used for build up of anywhere from 1/4" to 3/8" thick as needed.

In cases where build up might be needed that exceeds that amount, then medium bed mortars can be used. Medium bed mortars follow all the same details of regular thinsets as described above, but they can also be used for build ups of up to 3/4" in most cases.

Thinset comes in both gray or white varieties. The difference between the two is the iron content of the portland cement. Because the white thinset contains a purer portland cement, it costs more than the gray. When setting stone or translucent stone or glass or when using a light colored grout you want to use a white thinset. When used under cement board or with a daker colored grout, then a gray thinset will do.
    eargle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2012, 06:39 AM
    Will the use of a cement curing retardant admixture (for use on outdoor application in hot weather in excess of 90 degrees) affect the properties of modified thinset such as bonding or shear strength? If so, what is a recommended solution?
    Celer Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2012, 03:21 PM
    The difference is you do not use mastic tile glue on floor and in or around wet erea. So use thinset modified, cbu board over proper amount of plywood.
    Celer Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2012, 03:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by eargle View Post
    Will the use of a cement curing retardant admixture (for use on outdoor application in hot weather in excess of 90 degrees) affect the properties of modified thinset such as bonding or
    shear strength? If so, what is a recommended solution?
    A exterior thinset morter would work but I wouldn't recommend mixing in out in the sun and mix small batches.
    perna3232 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2013, 03:57 AM
    I am installing 1" stone tiles to a new plaster backsplash behind a stove tiles are 6" x 14" interlocking should I use mastic or thin set and will thin set adhere to plaster

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceramic tile over self adhesive vinyl tile work? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a small bathroom with self-adhesive vinyl tile on the floor. Can I put ceramic tile over this vinyl tile?

Thinset versus mastic [ 34 Answers ]

I was told to return an all purpose 3 gal tub of mastic that Lowe's guy recommended for inside alcove shower/tub ceiling 3x5 area.. Should I use unmodified thinset mortar?. I am using 6x6 porcelain tile on 3/8 hardibacker screwed to the ceiling and 9" surround at the top of an acrylic wall/ tub...

How to remove ceramic tile mastic from hardwood floor. [ 4 Answers ]

I removed an old ceramic tile floor in my foyer that was put down over hardwood flooring. The tiles came up pretty easily as they had been there about 20 years. The leftover residue of mastic and grout is pretty brittle. I would like to know the easiest way to clean that up and try to sand and...

Porcelain tile laid over mastic [ 4 Answers ]

I have removed old 9x9 tile from my basement floor can I lay porcelain tile over the mastic or do I need to use a disolving solvent? Also will the moisture because it's a basement effect the tile sticking? Thanks... blmgreek

Removing Hardset Tile Mastic from Concrete Floor [ 1 Answers ]

I need to remove a hardset ( not glue type) mastic from a large area of concrete floor. The mastic is almost as hard as the concrete and must be ground down in order to lay carpet. I am currently using a floor belt sander with hardest grade paper. It's moving at just about a snails pace. Is...

View more questions Search