Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    questionsgirl Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2009, 01:18 PM
    Switching off water heater to reduce bills
    We have just moved into a new house and have 2 large water heaters. I'm not totally sure but I think they are parallel as both are the same size. After having a huge utilities bill, I would like to switch off one of the heaters as there is only 2 of us living in the house. Can anyone advise? Thanks!:confused:
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2009, 01:34 PM

No problem with that. Just make sure you switch off the one that's closet to the water service so the second tank is where the hot water comes from. And not the first in line or the water will get chilled on the demand.

If the bills are high wrap the heater with insul kit and hot water pipes insulated.

You might be able to turn down the heater.

Also purge your heater to clean out sediments in the bottom and that will help keep the Elements clean if this is electric.

If all goes well for demand you can plum past first heater is the hot water seems to get to stagnant and doesn't seem fresh. I doubt that will happen

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2009, 01:37 PM

To eleminate 1, you need to remove power from 1, and reroute the water so the hot water is not fed through the disabled tank.
    I suppose you could get away with removing power to the first one in line to eleminate the hot going through the dead tank until a plumber can permenately eleminate/bypass.
    questionsgirl Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2009, 01:44 PM

Thanks for your speedy replies. In your opinion would you say that by shutting off one of the heaters would make a significant difference to my utilities bill? I'm weighing up whether it' s worth paying for a plumber...
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2009, 02:42 PM

Follow 21's advice and see what your bill does. However, if I'm reading your comments correctly about the heaters being "parallel", each heater is independent of the of the other. So, if that is true, if you switch one off, you will lose water to whatever faucets that heater supplies. 21's advice is dependent upon one heater "feeding" the other.

Others will know more about this than me, but my experience is this. Hot water is not a huge addition to the electric bill. If a plumber has to come in and reroute pipes to allow the use of just one heater, then I would question whether it will pay off. The advice about insulating the water heaters and hot water pipes would probably save you at least some money.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to reduce the water flow? [ 3 Answers ]

I have run 400 feet of black hose on a retaining wall. When I turn the pump on ( not the pool pump) the water goes through the 400 ft. too fast. How can I slow it down so its just a trickle. The water coming out of the hose is very hot to begin with. I need some kind of a pump that moves the water...

Water bills [ 2 Answers ]

Is alanlord able to charge a tenant water when the apartment rent is $1725 and tenant pays all other utilities she goes up on her rent 3% each year

Would a new furnace reduce my propane bills much? [ 6 Answers ]

Inspired by a thread here on propane furnace efficiency, I went to the basement and changed the filter on my propane furnace and tried to find out what kind it is. It is a Day and Night and is 16 years old. But it has no information that I can find saying how efficient it is or how many BTUs or...

Connecting a tankless water heater and separate hot water heater [ 6 Answers ]

What I have is this. An oil fired boiler that generates hot water for my house baseboard heating system. Contained within the boiler is a tankless heater that is heated by way of the firebox in the boiler. The tankless heater is used only for domestic hot water. It has a separate CW supply to the...

Water not switching correctly to shower head [ 1 Answers ]

When I turn the center knob to activate the shower(Price Phfister, circa 1969) the water does not fully shut-off at the main nozzle, only a slight amount exits the shower head. Removed the control valve and replaced with another with the same results.

View more questions Search