Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jersey-joan Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2006, 06:01 PM
    Can one shut off water main valve but leave gas hot water tank on?
    I would like to know if I go away for two days and shut my main water shutoff valve can I leave my gas hot water tank on. I saw two answers
    To a similar question and one answer said you can leave it on and the other
    Said you had to shut it off. I am confused now as to whether I can leave the gas hot water tank on when I shut the main water valve?
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2006, 09:09 PM
    Turn off the main water shut off and then turn the thermostat on the water heater to the lowest position on the dial, some even have a setting for "vacation" if you have that turn it to that position. Then use the knob on top of the thermostat to the pilot position. When you return turn the tempature up to your normal setting and then turn the top knob to own.
    Doing this should insure that you water heater will not heat while you are away.
    jersey-joan Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2006, 05:17 AM
    Can gas hot water tank explode if it bursts and main water valve is shut off?
    If I was away and shut my main water valve off and left my gas hot water tank on and it burst and the water drained out would the pilot light go out and if it did then would the gas would be leaking and possibly explode? I have an A.O. Smith Model FGR 30 224 with no manual from the previous homeowner and I don't know if it would automatically shut off the gas flow were the pilot light to go out.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 10, 2006, 07:10 AM
    Hi Joan,

Set your mind at ease. Water heaters have all sorts of safety features built in. if you went away and left the gas on and the water off the water would heat up to the desired temperature and then shut the burner off until the water cooled down. But say you had a faulty thermostat and the water turned to steam. The T & P (temperature and pressure) relief valve would open up and relieve the pressure. So, no big boom!

Now say the tank developed a leak and the water doused the pilot light. The thermocouple would turn off the gas and shut down the pilot light.
    So your fears are foundless. Enjoy your vacation. Regards, tom
    DaPlUmBeRGuY Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Mar 6, 2008, 06:18 PM
    As an expert licensed plumber myself... I say that speedball hit it on the head ! No fear he's right your safe

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Water tank height versus water pressure [ 3 Answers ]

I'm not a physicist so I need your help. I live in Mexico. We have a water tank sitting on the roof - there is no pressure pump. The water pressure in the house is very low. Is there a rule of thumb (for the common man) that will tell me how how much pressure increase will result from raising...

Leaking Water Shut Off Valve [ 4 Answers ]

The main water shut off valve inside the house is leaking. How do I shut off the valve "outside" the house so we can work on fixing this? The house is 16 yrs old. This is the original valve. Would you estimate that this is a simple washer problem? Or is this best left to a professional...

Home Water Shut Off Valve [ 3 Answers ]

Do you recommend shutting off the main house water shut off valve? We are leaving our southern California home for six months and living in our second home in Ohio. Our house is 30 years old with main water lines in a slab. A few homes in the neighborhood have experienced leaks in the slab. ...

Tube from the water shut off valve [ 1 Answers ]

My husband was turning off the water to the toilet while trying to fix something and the tube FROM the shut off valve TO the toilet tank broke. How can this be fixed by an amateur? Please help, we have 6 people in the house with one working toilet! Thanks!

Water Heater... is There A Blow Back Valve To Prevent The Tank From Going Dry And [ 8 Answers ]

Damage will result if element comes on when tank is dry in a water heater. I live in a community where the water is constantly being shut off and the element burns out. Is there a type off blow back valve that can be installed to prevent the tank from going dry.

View more questions Search