Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aryannaNfaith Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2009, 10:01 AM
    What are my rights as there mom
    My name is kimberly bennett. Here's what I need help with. A few years ago my husband and I went to jail and he is still there but I am out on bail. We gave guardinship to my mother-inlaw so that we would not lose them to the state. I decided that ididn't want to be with my husband any more and I moved out of my mother in laws and in to my new boyfriends but know she won't let me take my girls with out her with us. What are my rights as there mom? And how difficult will it be for me to try and get them back? How long should I wait until I try to get them back because its already been a month and like 8 days.
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2009, 10:05 AM

You rights as their mother are limited by the guardianship order. I would seek an attorney and start the process immediately to have custody returned back to you. Jail will make the situation difficult and you are already in a new relationship that may not be considered stable as apparently it has all happened within one months time.

An attorney is your best bet in having this situation handled.
    GirlWSlingshot Posts: 224, Reputation: 21

Feb 4, 2009, 11:32 AM

I second the advice on getting a lawyer's advice. This is a complicated situation and you're going to need representation.

I would also suggest that rather than living with a new man and trying to get your girls back, you get a place of your own and prove that you can provide a safe and stable home. Shacking up with a new man is not going to lend an air of credibility to your claim that you can provide a safe, stable, and healthy home.
    starfirefly Posts: 397, Reputation: 33

Feb 4, 2009, 11:46 AM

I have a friend in a similar situation she's has been trying to get guardianship back for her daughter from her father and its been 3 years, she's been trying to do it without a lawyer so you should really seek legal advice on the situation or it may be a very long process
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2009, 01:18 PM

Even with counsel it is a long process, but at least you are giving yourself a chance at getting what you are looking for.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 4, 2009, 04:46 PM

Part of the problem will be if you are just "out on bail" you are not free, you will still have to go to trial and can still end up going to jail. So I am sure the court will want your legal troubles ended.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

As an aunt do I rights to sue DCFS for vistation rights to see my niece? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi My name is Rosalyn. I have a 12 year old niece that I just adore. Unfortunately she is in foster care with Illinois's DCFS going on 6 years. My sister, my nieces mom is mentally Ill. Her father was in jail for 10 years (my niece was 2 when he was sentence). Now that he is out jail and a witness...

Tenet rights vs housemates rights for removal of housemate [ 3 Answers ]

Good day everyone. My question is this: Can I have my housemate evicted from my apartment if she has not paid her part of the rent for several months? She is on the lease as a occupant only. I know I can have her removed from the lease by submitting it in writing to the landlord. I have receipts as...

Grandparents rights after termination of rights over parents [ 2 Answers ]

I am a single mother of two children and my mother relinquished her rights of me and my sister when I was 12. Now here is my question... my mother wants to go for grandparents vistitaion for my children and my sisters and she is willing to got to court for it. I was told by my CPS worker that she...

Legal Rights, Moral rights, and rights in general [ 5 Answers ]

Something popped up when I was answering a question the other day. My opinion is that there are laws(legal rights etc) and RIGHTS (moral rights) I though that itd be interesting to discuss. What are your opinions/experiences? Do you believe that the law has the right to determine our rights?

What rights does a parent give when they sign over parental rights? [ 2 Answers ]

When I was 16 my mom signed over her parental rights, I am now 23 and have a kid. What rights to her grand kid does she have?

View more questions Search