Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jonfifa09 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2009, 08:06 AM
    CD Drive not reading any disks
    My cd drive doesn't read any type of disks, I've tried music and installation disks and nothing happeneds. The drive was working fine a few days ago, but it hasn't worked since I did abit of cable management.
    The computer is picking up that I've got a cd drive and it appears when I get boot the computer and on the hardware list.

Im using windows xp professional.

This is what the CD drive appears as in system information.

Drive D:
    Description CD-ROM Drive
    Media Loaded No
    Media Type CD-ROM
    Name HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4481B
    Manufacturer (Standard CD-ROM drives)
    Status OK
    Transfer Rate Not Available
    SCSI Target ID 0
    PNP Device ID IDE\CDROMHL-DT-ST_RW/DVD_GCC-4481B_______________E106____\5&308D6D9A&0&0.0.0
    Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys (5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2108), 61.50 KB (62,976 bytes), 23/08/2001 13:00)
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2009, 09:22 AM

Give this a shot, it works any times but not all

Upperfilters/LowerFilters
    Follow method 2 on this link, if this does not resolve problem, the changes you may have made will not effect your computer operation in any way -
    You can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive, or you receive an error message after you remove a CD recording program or a DVD recording program in Windows XP: "error code 31"

Using the Registry Editor
    If you are not comfortable with editing the registry, I would not recommend but suggest to have a friend or someone you know and trust to make these changes. It is a minor edit but still would not recommend if not comfortable.

Feb 4, 2009, 11:28 AM
    I don't get a error message. When I put cd in the drive nothing happends. When I go onto my computer the DVD/CD Drive icon appears as there's nothing in there :confused:
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2009, 12:22 PM

Click start, settings, control panel, system, hardware tab, device mgr

Click plus sign next to cd rom drive and then right click on drive and go to properties anything out of order there

Feb 4, 2009, 02:38 PM
    Just tried that and it all looks like it should do.

This is what it says. Is that location supposed to be "0" ? :confused:

And I don't seem to hear the disks spinning when I put a disk in. It does sound like the cd drive has had it :mad:

Device type: DVD/CD-ROM drives

Manufacturer: (Standard CD-ROM drives)

Location 0 (0)

Device status: This device is working properly.

Device usage: Use this device (enable)

Feb 4, 2009, 02:39 PM

Lol soz

Device type: DVD/CD-ROM drives

Manufacturer: (Standard CD-ROM drives)

Location 0 (0)

Device status: This device is working properly.

Device usage: Use this device (enable)
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2009, 04:46 PM

hasn't worked since I did abit of cable management.
    Any software been added since last time worked

Did you go over your "cable mgmt" to make sure all the ribbons and cables are in properly and exactly where they where - try and remove anything you had removed and replaced again 1 by 1 and make sure they are seated 'firmly'

Feb 4, 2009, 06:12 PM

I checked and all the cables and ribbons are in tightly and where they should be.

My floppy drive doesn't seem so pick up disks either.

Im total confused!
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2009, 06:53 PM

Are there any yellow marks in device mgr?

As it worked a few days ago, a system restore to an earlier date may help

System Restore
    -Go down till you see

How to use System Restore to restore Windows XP to a previous state
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084

Choose a date when there were no issues

Feb 4, 2009, 07:28 PM

Dam, system restore isn't going help. I had it turned off.

Threers no yellow marks in device manager either.

Feb 4, 2009, 07:41 PM
    Should I uninstall the cd drive driver and try and reinstall it if windows recognizes it? Problem there could be that if I unistall it and can't reinstall the driver.
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2009, 07:51 PM

I would go with the system restore first back to when it was working and if that does not solve issue, then would attempt to get drivers

Feb 5, 2009, 10:02 AM

I had system restore turned off. Im just going have go with unistalling the driver and hope it works. If that don't work it looks like ill be needing a new cd drive.
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2009, 10:15 AM

Before getting a new drive, remove the upper and lower filters mentioned in one of my above posts, don't worry that it mentions error code
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

And before getting new drive, see if you can get hold of another one, maybe from a friend or someone and see if another drive would do the same thing, need to rule out software before buying new hardware

Feb 5, 2009, 07:53 PM

I just tried that website and said I had a driver missing and it said fixed successfully and restart my PC, so I did and it still won't recognise my cd's.

I tred delete my upper and lower filters, I followed all the steps but the upper and lower reg wasn't there.
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2009, 09:32 PM

Here is a link for the latest driver for that cd rom drive
    RapidShare: Easy Filehosting

I downloaded the app from a site you would need to sign up on, so I downloaded it and uploaded it, The File is Safe, it is my upload

If this does not help situation, it may be time for a new drive

This recently happened to myself and ended up having to but a new drive, which works. I just wanted to exhaust software probablities first to hopefully not have to get new drive

Link above is for the driver which is in zip format, it would have to be unzipped and then run the .exe file and follow on screen instructions

Hopefully this will work

Feb 6, 2009, 09:58 AM

My PC couldn't seem load that link.

Last night I unistalled the driver for my cd drive and restarted my PC and the wizzard found new hardware and reinstalled the cd drive. But no luck, I think its just ware and tear over the years have cought up on it.

In the next few days I will be able try a different CD drive in my PC from another PC. So I will report back with what happends.

Thanks for your time and help seahwk. Much appreciated.
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2009, 10:02 AM

Yea, it seems drive just had it's last day but all in all, made every effort to avoid having to get new one.

As mentioned earlier, I went through all the same things not too long ago and ended up just getting a new one

But had to try all the software "maybe" software issue, just never know
    Hooper87 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2009, 05:57 PM

I am having the same problem. i.e. WinXp sees the drive but won't read it>>>

Drive E:
    Description CD-ROM Drive
    Media Loaded No
    Media Type CD-ROM
    Name TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H552L
    Status OK
    SCSI Target ID 0
    PNP Device ID IDE\CDROMTSSTCORP_CD/DVDW_TS-H552L_______________0614____\5&17374BF3&0&0.0.0
    Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys (5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2108), 61.50 KB (62,976 bytes), 8/10/2004 3:00 PM)
    >>>>>
    Did not install new s/w, deleted drive, reinstalled = no joy (this sys is maybe 3yrs old)

I could not find you #2 fix solution in the thread - please repost. TX
    Kims questions Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2009, 05:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonfifa09 View Post
    My cd drive doesn't read any type of disks, ive tried music and installation disks and nothing happeneds. The drive was working fine a few days ago, but it hasnt worked since i did abit of cable mangement.
    The computer is picking up that ive got a cd drive and it appears when i get boot the computer and on the hardware list.

Im using windows xp professional.

This is what the CD drive appears as in system information.

Drive D:
    Description CD-ROM Drive
    Media Loaded No
    Media Type CD-ROM
    Name HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4481B
    Status OK
    SCSI Target ID 0
    PNP Device ID IDE\CDROMHL-DT-ST_RW/DVD_GCC-4481B_______________E106____\5&308D6D9A&0&0.0.0
    Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys (5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2108), 61.50 KB (62,976 bytes), 23/08/2001 13:00)
    The download was not free for the FREE download driver

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drive not reading disks [ 9 Answers ]

So the other day I was cleaning up my boyfriends computer of worthless junk. Like the game demos that come free with new windows vista computers, and Yahoo messenger, and that is all I deleted, nothing I didn't know what it was. Well, now the disk drive isn't working right. It won't read disks and...

CD rom not reading data disks [ 2 Answers ]

My CD-ROM drive will not read Programed CD's. It gives me a format disk error and that the disk is not formatted. Do I just need to get a new CD drive, or is there a fix? It does read Audio CD's though.

Cd ROM not reading disks -_- [ 11 Answers ]

I've been playing Diablo 2 LOD for awhile now and just the other day, when trying to open the shortcut it said: "Diablo II was unable to locate your CD-ROM drive. Please make sure your Diablo II expansion disk is in your CD-ROM drive, then click retry":( This has come up before but mainly...

Zip Drive Disks [ 4 Answers ]

How do I unwrite protect a write protected 100 megabite zip drive disk? These disk inadvertently write protected themselves and they are not full.

View more questions Search