Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scprosportsman Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2006, 02:26 PM
    Murray 11hp won't start, help please...
    Hi, I have a little bit older model Murray riding lawnmower with the 11hp B&S engine. Im not sure exactly what year or model, the number I got off the engine and entered into B&S's website said it was not found?? But anyway, I have a brand new battery, power cables, solenoid, key ignition and carburator and STILL can't get this thing to start. It will turn over and over and nothing. Its getting fuel and I even put in a new fuel filter. Its getting spark(new spark plug as well) but still just turns over and over?? I don't know what else to check or what I should do? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2006, 11:46 PM
    How are you testing for spark?
    Have you tested for compression? Did it run fine and then just start this?

Aug 10, 2006, 06:11 AM
    For spark I just pulled the plug and put it close to metal to see if it would arc over. I could see a spark so I figured that should be fine. I haven't yet tested for compression although I will check that today and let you know. What should it be reading as far as compression? Im use to working on cars, so I don't know how much compression a little engine like this should put out. I just got the mower from somebody I work with. He hadn't used it in a while and had two mowers so he gave me this one. He said he knew it needed a new carberator which I put on it but said other then that it use to run fine when he use to use it. He just bought a newer snapper and no longer needed this one. Im just wondering if since it sat for a while something else didn't get messed up? If there is anything else you can think of for me to check I would appreciate it. Thanks. Im going to go test the compression now.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by thebriggsdude
    How are you testing for spark?
    Have you tested for compression? Did it run fine and then just start this?

Aug 10, 2006, 08:01 AM
    OK, well another update. Went out to check spark like I did a week and a half ago. It had it then and now after I replaced the other parts I checked again and now I have no spark at all?? I pulled off the top cover and the wire was burned a bit so I put a new wire on it and tried to fix it. Still have no spark. So I'm guessing my ignition coil is bad correct? Is there a way I can test it before I go and buy another one since I just looked and its about another $40 to get one. Any suggestions please let me know. Thanks.

Nick

P.S. Is there a certain spot to get the correct Briggs and Stratton engine identification? I looked all over and the only code I can get off it does not match any records according to the guys at B&S? I thought they should be right on the top cover, should they not? Please let me know so I also know I'm ordering the correct coil if I have to. Thanks.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2006, 12:44 PM
    The codes (well model, type and code) should be on the engine shroud for most all, either the side or front (briggs has a page on finding it, since some engines may not have it on the side or front)
    As for the coil, pull the kill wire, put the plug in the boot, ground the plug to the engine and pull it, watch for a blue snap... no snap (even with the flywheel and coil cleaned up, and gapped at .10) then new coil... might can find a used one.

Aug 11, 2006, 06:44 PM
    Well I finally found the model number. I had to do some scraping. It appears as though it was painted over before. I checked it out and it was the right number. I can finally "know" I'm ordering the correct parts for once. I figured its GOT to be the coil since I traced everything else and this seems to be the only logical conclusion. I broke down and ordered another one. It was about $32 for my model number. Hope this is my last problem. Thanks for the help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Murray Riding mower won't start [ 13 Answers ]

Driving along and it died, won't restart. Engine turns over, fire is getting to the spark plug, but won't kick in. Anybody know how to troubleshoot this problem. I hate to take it to the shop, feel like it is a simple problem. It has gas, the plug is new, and has oil. Susan:confused:

I have a murray 17.5 hp I think and the ignition won't work [ 1 Answers ]

I have a murray 17.5 mower and it won't start the when I turn the key nothing happens. The last time it worked it wouldn't start it would buzzzz or make a clicking noise and now it just doesn't do anything. If I out a pair of pliers on the 2 silinoid wires the starts moves but won't pop up to...

Murray 5.0 won't start [ 2 Answers ]

My Murray 5.0 push lawnmower won't start. It briefly started and when I started to mow, it cut off. This happened a couple of months ago so I checked the air filter and basically knocked all the dirt out and it started like it was brand new. Now it's won't start again. I knocked the dirt out of...

Murray Rider Will Not Start [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Murray Select Ridding Mower model # 425600x8A it will not start? The fuse is fine. The seat switch was disconnected the key switch is on the funny thing is that I disconnected the battery ground side and when I touch the cable to the GR post the engine turns over, but no spark. I noticed...

Murray rider won't start [ 8 Answers ]

Ive got a fully charged battery, the starter just chugs a little, Not enough to start it up, and the red connection at the starter Heats up and smokes. Is the starter bad, or do I have electrical problem elsewhere? I think I just replaced the starter last summer. Help?

View more questions Search