Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    St_Phoenix Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2009, 03:08 AM
    Cookies.sqlite file
    Every time I open my FireFox I get a warning from AVG to say that a tracking cookie has been detected,and removed?What can be the problem with it?I've scanned the specific file with AVG and Spybot but did not detect anything.

Is there a way of deleting this file permanently or to stop it from giving a warning all the time?
    NoDaddy dot com Posts: 101, Reputation: 0

Feb 27, 2009, 10:15 PM
    [QUOTE=St_Phoenix;1526875]What can be the problem with it/QUOTE]

Your 'security' software is to blame: poor design

Switch off the 'feature' in AVG settings for peace of mind or re-evaluate your need for 'security' software.
    Scratchingwolf Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2009, 02:48 PM
    If you search for "sqlite cookie" in your search engine, you will find that sqlite is the name of a tiny embedded database-program in the latest version of Firefox. Previously, Firefox kept the passwords you asked it to remember, in plain text cookies. I reckon AVG will soon adapt to it. Meanwhile, just press the "Ignore" button in the AVG warning screen. BTW do not mind people who feel nothing good can come for free: I have used AVG for 10 years now and this is the first time it makes a mistake.
    hoozdiss Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2009, 11:52 AM
    My sqlite file actually has tracking cookies (realmedia, etc) in it. Why do you think avg is making a mistake?
    davideugeneking Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2010, 07:17 PM

For several years of free AVG and now the Pro version, I have had no problem with Mozilla Firefox until today, February 10, 2009.

There is a potentially dangerous tracking cookie residing in:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application
    Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\lnim1snr.default\coo kies.sqlite

Cookies.sqlite is a protected file that requires a special program to open it. Inside, you will find that your Mozilla Firefox browser is now sending information about you to an anonymous 3rd party.

You will constantly need to check for this file and delete it after using your browser. To delete the "unwanted” cookies.sqlite, do a Windows Explorer search for "cookies.sqlite" and when you find it residing at C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\lnim1snr.default\coo kies.sqlite

Delete the file and then empty the trash...

Best regards.
    davideugeneking Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2010, 07:23 PM
    Also, you may wish to consider using a different browser since Mozilla Firefox has opened the source to more "trackers" using cookies and failed to notify users or give users an alternative to "blocking" trackers.
    wjoyner Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2010, 09:43 AM
    I tend to agree with some of the others. Since Mozilla (FireFox) team has chosen to open the code to providers of 3rd party use. I have gone back to Windows Explorer 8 until I find something better :) AVG does complain about anay portion of Windows Explorer.

Thanks,
    wjoyner Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2010, 09:47 AM
    Comment on wjoyner's post
    I meant to say AVG does NOT complain about any portion of Windows Explorer.
    johndoerwer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2011, 11:55 PM
    If Firefox store password in that file then it is really dangerous, and it is very very bad. Avg should terminate it after all.

But if it is not then the bad one is the avg for suspecting the wrong file. The last update of avg kill most of my programs though, I begin to distrust this free software for commercial intend.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cookies [ 1 Answers ]

Does Cookies slow your computer down? Do I need to delete cookies and if so can someone please tell me how?

Cookies! [ 1 Answers ]

Im not sure if it's the right place to ask this, but, how can I delete cookies from by browser?

Where's the cookies ? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I am trying to log into my pay pal account for the first time. It says my browser has to accept cookies?? Can somebody let me know... where are the cookies? I thought it was a bad thing to allow. Many thanks :)

Reading cookies [ 3 Answers ]

Can anybody help me out? Can anyone tell me how to read cookies? Actually a deceiver hacked my password of Google account and using it and it got to know that he knows the process of reading cookies and he got my password from the cookies.. :p... if I can read the cookies I wll be able to know the...

Cookies [ 5 Answers ]

Is there a page where I can find out who owns the cookies that keep appearing when I do scan?? Toydajo

View more questions Search