Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FERN1234 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2009, 12:52 AM
    Unprofessional conduct of a private investigator
    I hired a private investigator in 2006 and he gave me all wrong information about the women my husband was cheating with. I gave him $3500.00 up front and all I had left he claims was $926.00 now I want all my money back for services never received. I received no photos, no videos, and he hired someone else to follow my husband ,without my knowledge,I did not hired them.He sent a check for $926.00 for my left over retainer but I never cashed it and I called him to sent me another and he refuses. He lives in seattle and I live in California so I am not flying to seattle to sue him. Please what do I do now?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2009, 09:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by FERN1234 View Post
    I hired a private investigator in 2006 and he gave me all wrong information about the women my husband was cheating with. I gave him $3500.00 up front and all I had left he claims was $926.00 now I want all my money back for sevices never received. I received no photos, no videos, and he hired someone else to follow my husband ,without my knowledge,I did not hired them.He sent a check for $926.00 for my left over retainer but I never cashed it and I called him to sent me another and he refuses. He lives in seattle and I live in california so I am not flying to seattle to sue him. Please what do I do now?

The PI gave you the information as he found it - there are no guarantees in this line of work. I would be interested in the sources he used which turned up incorrect info. If he went on line, pulled info, provided it to you and charged you premium prices, he did NOT do his job.

You should have requested and received an itemized billing for services rendered. It should be hourly and should also list disbursements and expenses. Did you?

You are not entitled to all of your money back - there are NO guaranteed results in this line of work. If, for example, you pay someone to conduct a surveillance the person is paid from the moment they leave the office until the moment they return (obviously getting paid for travel time) whether there are good/bad/indifferent/no results or not. If you ask that a person be trailed on a certain evening and the person never leaves the house, you are responsible for the bill.

Was there a contract to provide photos and videos? Was there an opportunity to obtain the same? The fact that someone else actually did the field work is not a problem UNLESS your contract says that one certain person must conduct the work. One PI cannot be in more than one place at one time and it is not the least bit unusual for another "operative" to conduct some of the work. If you contracted with a male and he felt a female would obtain better results, that's not unusual.

If you intend to sue you have to sue in his jurisdiction so I see no way around that.

Why were you unhappy with the results? What was not done that should have been done or that you contracted for?

You are one of the reasons a majority of PI's no longer work for individuals and only work for law firms.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 8, 2009, 10:26 AM

The fact that he returned almost a third of your retainer also indicates to me that he was honestly billing you.

As Judy said, unless your contract with him included some specifics of what he was to obtain for you, then it sounds like he did his job.

What info was wrong and how did you find out it was wrong?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2009, 10:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    The fact that he returned almost a third of your retainer also indicates to me that he was honestly billing you.

As Judy said, unless your contract with him included some specifics of what he was to obtain for you, then it sounds like he did his job.

What info was wrong and how did you find out it was wrong?

And I should have added that if the information obtained if not the information the client wants to hear, that does not make the information incorrect.

PI's are not magicians. Oftentimes suspicions are just that - suspicions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

90's private investigator show, man and woman, partners. [ 8 Answers ]

I remember a tv-show I saw when I was younger, but I don't remember what it was called. It was about a man and a woman who were private investigators. They had a little office, only one room, that I think was white. There prople came and asked them to investigate their cases. I think the man was...

Bad conduct discharge [ 13 Answers ]

I received a bad conduct discharge from the Navy 15 years ago for AWOL, I served 6 months in the Brig, was reduced from E4 to E1, and loss of all benefits, can I have that upgraded in any way or get any benefits or shall I have to live with that mistake for the rest of my life. I didn't do drugs...

Any know of Private Investigator for Immigration Marriage Fraud? [ 4 Answers ]

I have initiated a case of marriage fraud against an individual with I.C.E. She married (someone else) for green card in U.S. (she is from Poland), had a child with me and AFTER the pregnancy told me of her "marriage for green card purposes." Once her green card came through she flew the coop, I...

Private Room in Private Home [ 8 Answers ]

I am renting a room and bathroom to a tenant. I have problems with excessing use of the in-home washer and dryer. I have asked tenant to restrict laundry to once a week, but she has not adhered to this. When I leave for work, I turn the power breaker OFF to the Washer and dryer, but she has...

View more questions Search