Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PINEAPPLE67 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2006, 12:12 PM
    Tree Trimming Etiquette
    My neighbor has a very large bradford pear tree in their front yard that is planted about 5' from our property line. This neighbor does not trim this tree and the tree has overgrown so much that a large limb protrudes to our drive way over our parked cars. We have asked these neighbors in the past to trim this tree and others in the back yard that over-hang our patio cover and they ignore our request.:mad:

What is neighbor and/or property owner rights and etiquette to trim these trees?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2006, 12:21 PM
    I'm not sure if this is true in all locations, but around here I can trim what hangs over my property.

I'd focus on what's legally OK and not worry about etiquette since the neighbor has ignored your request.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 9, 2006, 05:26 PM
    In most areas as a property owner, you own the air space above your property and his tree is "tresspassing" onto your property.

It is very possible ( but I would check with an attorney in your area) that you give them a formal written request. And if they do not cut it, you would have the option of merlely cutting it yourself at the property line, or hiring it done ( but only at your property line) and then if he doe not pay, you should be able to sue him for that cost.

From a personal note, if their tree is over my property line, I merely use my own tree cutter ( I have a manual and an electric one on a pole)
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2006, 05:32 PM
    I believe that, legally, you can trim any portion of any tree that overhangs onto your porperty. Check with your local city hall to be sure.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2006, 05:33 PM
    To add to the good answers above, in my area I can cut anything over my property without permission.

I cannot, though, charge him for any of the trimming.
    PINEAPPLE67 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2006, 09:39 AM
    Thank You For All Your Answers. Since I Posted This Question, I Did Further Research And Discovered That, I Can Trim Anything Over My Property Line As Long As It Doesn't Cause Harm To The Tree.
    As Far As If His Tree's Branch (which Is About 10" Round) Falls During A Storm Or Other Act Of God, He Is Not Liable To Any Damage Done To My Property Unless I Mail Him A Certified Return Receipt Letter Requesting That He Trim The Tree.

The Letter Is Now In The Mail
    Thanks
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 10, 2006, 11:16 AM
    Just one point here. As you noted, you can trim as long as it doesn't cause harm. And therein lies the rub. Since he has refused to trim himself, I would hire a pro to do the trimming. In that way, they would be liable if any damage was caused to the tree.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tipping etiquette [ 14 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, I went to a hair salon and had my hair straightened.. I paid $300 plus $70 tip.. 3 days later my hair was wavy again so I had the stylist re-do it . She didn't charge me for the service again but she did charge me for the hair supplies which came to $25.00. Should I have tipped...

Wedding etiquette [ 10 Answers ]

Is it okay to wear a black dress/like a cocktail dress to an evening wedding?

Proper etiquette [ 3 Answers ]

One of my closest friends is getting married and I am in the wedding party. Things are getting quite pricey between dress, shoes, bridal shower, bachlorette party, not to mention the cost of the hotel room for the weekend. The reception is at a very nice place and unfortunately that nice place...

Wedding Etiquette [ 6 Answers ]

My sister's daughter is getting married soon. Sister is widowed and dating a guy (for several months). Sister wants Date to sit with her in the first pew (Sister will be walked down the aisle to sit in first pew). Daughter says it is her wedding and she does not want date to sit in the first pew...

View more questions Search