Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TTHOMPSONMANGINA Posts: 7, Reputation: 3

Aug 9, 2006, 11:56 AM
    98 Honda Accord Weak Start Faint Oil Light
    Hi.. I have a 98 honda accord ex v-6 with 87100 miles on it.. quite often when I turn the key the car starts very weakly.. the car always starts but it's a hesitation sometimes.. I've had hondas before and I'm used to that strong distinct sound when it starts.. it almost sounds like its not getting enough gas in it to start it.. I'm not sure but I also noticed that a lot of times during starting my oil like flickers really quickly after the start before going out.. it only flickers for about 1 second at the most but it its noticeable.. I'm open to all suggestions.. of course I'm thinking starter, fuel injection, ignition and things like that but I'm not sure.. thanks for your help..
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2006, 12:21 PM
    First, make sure the battery is fully charged and all terminals are clean. Second, make sure you have fresh NGK plugs--the exact ones that are in your engine. Third, replace your fuel filter.

If the problem persists, then I would perform an "Iso Chronicle Inspection" and replace your igniter, coil, rotor, wires, and distributor cap, because of the age of the car. Sometimes you replace items proactively, based on time, in order to prevent problems. My whole gig is to maintain "like new" performance on older vehicles. I get excited when I see a car with 225,000+ miles on it that runs and looks great.

My guess is that you have left platinum or iridium plugs in too long and they need changing. Supposed 100,000 mile platinum plugs often need changing at 50,000 miles. Only change them when your engine is "stone cold," since you have an aluminum head engine. The faint oil light is likely coming on due a degraded electrical system, where the engine is laboring to start and stay running.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

96 Honda Accord ***won't Start**** [ 4 Answers ]

A week ago my car started to act up and not start on the first attempt, I had the starter changed and did a regular oil change on the car since it was due anyway. I continued to have the problem I then had the spark plugs changed and timing/idle adjusted, checked all the fuses still the same...

92 Honda Accord won't start [ 8 Answers ]

I recently bought a 92 honda accord ex and it has been giving me starting troubles. In Dec, the mechanic figured it out a the distributor problem and I got a new one put in. But a month and a half later.. again it won't start. The mechanic again thinks it is the distributor or the computer (after...

96 honda accord won't start. [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 96 honda accord ex which had a blown engine. I swapped over another engine and was able to get it to run twice, but since then, it just cranks over and feels like it wants to start up but then dies again. I'm getting spark, timing isn't an issue. I'm getting fuel to the fuel rail but it...

89 honda accord check engine light [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, I have a 89 Honda Accord LXI, check engine light is on, idles rough, then after shut off it won't re start for about 15min, and I smell a really strong gas smell, it turns over but won't start Thanks for any help

My Honda Accord Will Not Start [ 2 Answers ]

I have a accord 19991 dx model 4 door and will not start I have had to make spark happen at starter and hit starter with hammer and then will start but it does sound weak. I am not sure if it is the starter itself. I have heard about starter relay. I might have to take to honda for fixing but not...

View more questions Search