Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2009, 04:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by floridanative View Post
    Update....who knew any govt. office was so efficient--- package mailed yesterday, I rec. it today. That's unbelievable in itself.

Anyhow, it appears under paragraph #13 (ironic) that I have signed away all claim to my ex-husband's retirement. It says, "Neither party shall have a claim against the retirement benefits available to the other party."
    So, stick a fork in me.
    I want to apologize to ScottGem and/or Cadallic59 if I was rude. Thank you all for the responses - esp. George.

I admit it is a hard pill to swallow, and I feel so stupid. I worked for 16 yrs and had $20,000 in an IRA in 1990., he was in the military for 20 yrs, and has gotten probably close to $20,000 EVERY year since 1990 and will continue to every year for the rest of his life. (do the math on that one)
    Nobody ever said life is fair.

Thanks again, and when I really get down on myself for being so dumb, I just think about this woman with 6 kids, that just had 8 more, and I know there are.people a lot dumber than me.

Sorry to hear the story, but if it makes you feel any better, I had a friend once who after a 24 year marriage to a military guy waived her right to everything--the house, his retirement, support, the whole bit (it was in Georgia I think). It was so sad. I referred her to a Georgia lawyer but there was nothing that could be done. All she got out of the marriage were the military hospital benefits. Then, like a dummy, she remarried and lost the medical coverage and two years later hubby #2 died suddenly. So she was really out of luck. Talk about adding insult to injury.

Yep, life's not fair.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How long am I entitled to my husband's health benefits? [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I have been living apart for a year.he is going to we the people for divorce papers.am I still entitled to health benefits?also,am I entitled to his 401k?we do not have attorneys at this time.

Am I entitled to part of his 401K [ 2 Answers ]

I am going through a divorce and my husband has a 401K and I do not. Am I entitled to part of the 401K that he has even though we only been married for 7 years?

Military Retirement! [ 2 Answers ]

I have been in the military for over 20 years and have been married for 17 of those years and separated not legally but separated from my wife for 7 of those 17 years of marriage. Is there any rulings out there that are justifiable to a sense of not having the spouse receive half of a military...

View more questions Search