Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cg8455 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2006, 08:05 AM
    Questions from Texas

I live in Texas and have credit card collector hounding me. Due to personal situation I wasn't able to make my minimum payment (paid what I could) for several months. Now it seems I owe as much on interest, late charges, etc. as I did the original amount about $15,000. Can't borrow, no collateral and just begged and borrowed to pay for a funeral for my 26 yr old son.

My question is in Texas can a creditor garnish wages (don't think so) or garnish my bank account? There isn't much there but I knew they could I would just close my account.

Couldn't afford to file bankruptcy or a lawyer at this time. Someone please let me know.
    Superior Posts: 15, Reputation: 0

Aug 10, 2006, 08:59 AM
    You are correct. Wages cannot be attached or garnished, except for child support. The creditor can obtain a judgement. They may be able to put a lien on property with the judgement, as long as the property qualifies.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 10, 2006, 11:17 AM
    They can also report you to a credit company and effect your credit. Nort sure if tax returns are effected though.
    Superior Posts: 15, Reputation: 0

Aug 10, 2006, 11:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Superior
    You are correct. Wages cannot be attached or garnished, except for child support. The creditor can obtain a judgement. They may be able to put a lien on property with the judgement, as long as the property qualifies.
    Update: This statement is true for Texas only. Don't want everyone in every state to think that this is true for them.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 10, 2006, 04:02 PM
    Yes this is true for Texas, for now, you can tell them not to contract you by phone again, only in writing.

I don't think they can attach your Federal Income tax ( I know they can for child support but don't think so for credit debts ) but can't be 100 percent sure on the tax refund.
    zeke Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2006, 05:19 PM
    Go to www.budhibbs.com you may find the help you need there.
    cg8455 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2006, 02:44 PM
    Thanks, actually filed a report against one of the worst callers, since his message was recorded on my answer machine all of his threats and false accusation, etc. Big Mistake on his part.
    mommynrs Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

May 11, 2010, 01:27 AM

They cannot even touch your federal tax refund either only the federal gov't and States attorney general can garnish that. The state of Texas has no state income tax so that is mute. They can only get judgements against you but in most cases they only threaten. Your best bet is to file bankruptcy and have the legal fees rolled into the judgment or make a payment plan with the attorney. If you have a home you want to save Chapter 13 may be best and an actually help your credit in the long run.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If parents in Texas die without a will [ 8 Answers ]

I live in Texas and have one brother and one sister left living. I have one brother that has passed away. My questions is if my parents die without a will, will my brother children,the one that passed away,be entittled to anything?

Garnishment in Texas [ 1 Answers ]

I have a judgement against me for a very large amount on an unsecured credit card. Can my checking account be frozen? Someone told me that the company can freeze my checking account. Is that true? Xhalfpintx

F1 in Oklahoma-OPT in Texas-H1B in Texas [ 7 Answers ]

Hello all!!!:) First at all, this is a great forum! I've been reading a lot of posts, and they are very very useful. Now I got a question for the tax experts and non-experts too:p!! This is my case: I was studying and working as a Teacher Assistant in Oklahoma from 08.26.02 to 03.06.05....

Texas [ 1 Answers ]

Want to know what the song is called from the Texas video that starred Alan Rickman . Texas band with Sharlene Spiterri as lead.

View more questions Search