Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kims4you Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2009, 10:43 AM
    Questions on form 4868 extension for tax return
    Hi,

I got many helps from this forum.
    I came US January 2006, and graduated Dec. 2007. I worked from Feb. 2008. From Feb. to Sep. I worked with my OPT and I got H1B in Oct. 2008. I got married.
    So in order to file jointly, I have to wait until the date I can pass SPT test in 2009. To to this, I have to file form 4868 to apply extension for tax filing. Here is my question.

1. My wife does not have ssn # and need to apply ITIN, so what should I put on line 3 - Spouse’s social security number?
    2. What should I do with line 8 and 9? Is it OK to leave them unchecked?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 4, 2009, 02:37 AM

Which Form?
    kims4you Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2009, 07:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MukatA View Post
    Which Form?
    I mean form 4868 which is for extension for tax return.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 9, 2009, 03:14 PM
    Put NRA where your spouse's SSN would go, then MAIL the Form 4868.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to request extension 4868 for couples under first year choice [ 2 Answers ]

I got the H1-B on Oct 1, 2007 and plan to do the first year choice so that my husband and I can file joint return. I understand we have to file extension using Form 4868. But since both of us had income in 2007. Should we both file Form 4868 separately? Also in 519, it says to file Form 4868,...

Query regarding filing extension(4868) for income tax [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have applied for ITIN (form W7) for my spouse as well as filed the federal return (form 1040) along with it and mailed it to the Internal Revenue Service ITIN operations on March 9th 2007. They say that it normally takes 4-6 weeks for the processing. One thing that I want to add is I have...

Form 4868 - How and When [ 2 Answers ]

I may need to file form 4868 for an extension for filing my taxes. I am waiting for some info (spouse's SSN) but if that does not come, I will need to file for an extension. Few questions on that: - I have a hard copy of the form. How late can I mail it? Should it reach IRS by 4/17 or should...

Extesion request form 4868 with no ITIN [ 1 Answers ]

I am planning to file an extension for tax this year. I have a SSN and need to file for ITIN for my spouse. I understand that for federal tax extension, I can write "ITIN to be requested" in place of my spouse SSN on form 4868 and send W7 with my original return later. I was wondering if that...

About residency of h1-b holder and how to efile form 4868 [ 5 Answers ]

A.T.E, thank you very much! I am still confused about some questions below: 1. does the residency of 2005 depend on the presence of 2005 or that of when I file the income tax return in 2006. 2. I read some articles with the expression"first year choice", I find it is very important, would...

View more questions Search