Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2009, 03:36 PM
    Speaking of the "stimulus," more comedy gold courtesy of Obama himself and the CEO of Caterpillar (I'm starting to really like Jake Tapper):

D'oh! Caterpillar CEO Contradicts President on Whether Stimulus Will Allow Him to Re-Hire Laid Off Workers

February 12, 2009 6:16 PM

EAST PEORIA, ILL. -- President Obama today repeated the claim we asked about yesterday at the press briefing that Jim Owens, the CEO of Caterpillar, Inc. "said that if Congress passes our plan, this company will be able to rehire some of the folks who were just laid off."

Caterpillar announced 22,000 layoffs last month.

But after the president left the event, Owens said the exact opposite.

Asked if the stimulus package would be able to stop the 22,000 layoffs or not, Owens said, "I think realistically no. The truth is we're going to have more layoffs before we start hiring again"

"It is going to take some time before that stimulus bill" means re-hiring, he said.
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Feb 13, 2009, 07:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    That's odd, because after 40 plus years of studying the bible I don't know of anywhere that it increases the number of laws from the OT. In fact, it boiled all of your laws down to this, love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind and soul and love your neighbor as yourself.

I certainly don't find it odd at all that after 40 years of studying you have a LOT more to learn. The rabbis and sages taught neighborly love long before Christianity borrowed those words. In fact instead of using it in the original form of a negative command "do not do unto others," Christianity flipped it as a positive command of "do unto others." Your New Testament is full of examples showing the need for Old Testament Law. Dake's Annotated Reference Bible reveals 1,050 places where law is referred to in the New Testament. If you accept that the center figure of Christianity "Jesus" at his word, as recorded, then he didn't do away with the laws. One might reason (which is a good argument BTW) that applies only to the early ethnically Jewish-Christian sect (and none of the Gentiles), however every new ideology added in your NT books would be in addition to the Tanakh, therefore more principles and commands practiced than by strict modern Ultra-Orthodox Jews.

Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    And I expect to be governed, just as I expect that governance to be "tempered, balanced, and to be of good service for it's people." This stimulus is none of that.

Enjoy yourself...
    I always do. :) http://www.joyfulhouselv.com/ The food was a tad bit over priced though, but good. Or as Andrew Zimmern would say, "if it looks good, eat it." None of the stimulus is of good service to the people? Wow! And I thought you liked tax cuts. Anyway I'm not going to stick around and debate the possibilities when you don't even present a reasonable plan for an alternative solution. Vacation over. Say bye!
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2009, 09:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BABRAM View Post
    I certainly don't find it odd at all that after 40 years of studying you have a LOT more to learn. The rabbis and sages taught neighborly love long before Christianity borrowed those words. In fact instead of using it in the original form of a negative command "do not do unto others," Christianity flipped it as a positive command of "do unto others." Your New Testament is full of examples showing the need for Old Testament Law. Dake’s Annotated Reference Bible reveals 1,050 places where law is referred to in the New Testament. If you accept that the center figure of Christianity "Jesus" at his word, as recorded, then he didn't do away with the laws. One might reason (which is a good argument BTW) that applies only to the early ethnically Jewish-Christian sect (and none of the Gentiles), however every new ideology added in your NT books would be in addition to the Tanakh, therefore more principles and commands practiced than by strict modern Ultra-Orthodox Jews.
    Well now Bobby, I really would have an ego problem if I didn't think I had a lot to learn. We all do, even you. It's beyond obvious the "boiled down" version I mentioned came directly from Jewish law. Last I checked Jesus was Jewish so we're quite aware of the connection, and I was unaware that we were hijacking it as an original Christian thought.

We're also quite aware of all the NT references to OT law and generally make no claims that Jesus did away with those laws. I simply accept, as do most protestants I believe, that Jesus' summation of the law and as Paul explained it, is fulfilled by loving each other. Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law. If folks are adding more principles and commands than a strict ultra-orthodox Jew would practice, it isn't the 'Christianity' I'm familiar with.

None of the stimulus is of good service to the people? Wow! And I thought you liked tax cuts.
    No, the package as a whole is not "tempered, balanced, and to be of good service for it's people." It's certainly not tempered, it's anything but balanced, and it buys more political favor than public good. Bye.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The newly unpatriotic [ 34 Answers ]

Hello wingers of all persuasions, When the left didn't go along with the dufus about Iraq, Gitmo, or rendition and stuff, they were called traitors and UN patriotic... So, why aren't the right wingers UN patriotic and traitors when THEY don't go along with Obama's recovery program, as NONE...

Democrat versus Republican [ 7 Answers ]

Many of you guys can add it up in one minute, so please tell me: How many wars were initiated by democrats since the beginning of the USA? How many were started by republicans? How many wars were ended by republicans versus democrats?

Trouble in the Democrat ranks [ 26 Answers ]

Politico points out that the Blue Dog Democrats have refused to give funding to the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC ) Blue Dogs refuse to pony up for DCCC - Politico.com Print View The Blue Dog Democrats are what the moonbat or netroot wing of the party calls "Bush Dog...

Democrat/republican who? [ 5 Answers ]

Are you going to vote democrat or republican and then who are you going to vote for? If you vote.

View more questions Search