Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    falcyon Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2009, 07:09 AM
    ITIN for dependent canadian born son and wife (canadian citizen)
    I have filed W7 for my wife and son with my Federal tax return by going to a TAC in atlanta area. They indicated that since it is a peak season, will take 6-8 weeks to get the ITIN.

How do I file my states return? Reading from the replies of tax experts here, I understood that for most states I can wait till I have the ITIN if I receive a refund. I do expect refund from SC and GA state.

Does both the above state mandate the waiting rule to file along with the ITIN ?

Any help is appreciated.

TIA
    Atul
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 6, 2009, 11:56 AM
    Atul:

6-8 weeks sounds about right.

Both states require the ITINs be on the returns before you file, so you will just have to wait.
    falcyon Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2009, 01:50 PM
    Thanks a bunch for your reply atlantaTaxExpert...
    Another quick question though... Once I receive their ITIN's, can I then e-file state taxes for SC/GA using the ITIN's... or would I still have to paper file state taxes with the newly received ITIN's this year ?

Appreciate any help...

Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 16, 2009, 10:48 AM
    You should be able to efile the state returns with the ITIN. I know I can efile state and federal returns with ITINs with no problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Marriage to canadian citizen [ 1 Answers ]

I have a non violent, non drug non sexual felony on my record, if I marry a Canadian citizen can I enter the country to live?

Marriage to canadian citizen [ 1 Answers ]

I have a non violent non drug non sexual felony if I marry a Canadian citizen can I live in Canada?

US tax return filing Jointly with wife, canadian citizen [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1 B visa in US. I got married in July 2007. My wife is on H4 in US with me since Aug 2007. Before that she worked in Canada up to April so she is going to file her tax return in Canada. In this case, can I file my US tax return jointly with her? Do I need to declare her income...

I married a canadian citizen [ 2 Answers ]

I am a US:confused citizen ,in July I married a Canadian who thought his parents where naturalizen in the late 60's early 70's,come to find out they where not,Now we have to take steps to have him legalized in the US.I am so confused on how to begin this.What would be are first step to doing...

View more questions Search