Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dtcandelaria Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2009, 06:00 PM
    Working hours vs lunch hours
    Hi,

I am presently working. I love my job so it's not an issue to me if everyday, I come in to work earlier than I should be and going home later than I should, eversince I was employed in this company. Today, our HR had sent me an email with our CEO copied on reminding me that my lunch hour is 50 minutes and that I overspend it 2-3 times twice a month. Should I reason out that it gets compensated anyway with how long I stay and work in the office ? Tks/D.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 2, 2009, 06:14 PM

No, you should think they are giving you a warning about taking an excessive lunch.

Unless you are are a salary person, coming in early and working after ( esp if you are not being paid) can even be labor violations.

If you are salary, lunch times should not even be an issue normally.

If you have set hours that is what you need to be doing, you are not free to alter those on your own and have to ask for any variance of hours
    goodjuju29 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2009, 10:30 PM

It really depends on the organization's personality, but the poster above is right in most cases. I would only mention the extra hours if it gets escalated beyond a warning. Best thing you can do is stay within your lunch "hour". Unless you use an automated time card system someone's got there eye on you. Not always a bad thing but things like this could mean a missed opportunity when management is looking for employee's for special projects, promotion, position review, and even reduction in force procedures.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2009, 02:39 PM

If your lunch break is 50 minutes stick to that schedule. It does not really matter if you come into your job one hour earlier and stay one hour later (unpaid). What matters is that you adhere to the company's lunch break policy. Fudging your time by staying later for your lunch break will ultimately get you terminated.
    rachelcuryy08 Posts: 47, Reputation: -3

Mar 28, 2009, 02:48 PM

If it's a good job you might want to sick to that 50 min break that's a good break time were in at 15min that's it.
    suhle Posts: 16, Reputation: 0

Feb 2, 2011, 03:42 AM
    Yes. Absolutely stick to the 50 min. lunch hour. Actually, because you've gotten this official warning, I'd do 45 min. for a few months. There are always a number of people at any work place that are more interested in "telling on" other people rather than doing their own job. I've gotten screwed a few times because of it. Lots of people are allowed to stretch the rules, but most people are not allow to. You need to assume you are not allowed to. It's much safer if you want to enjoy your job.
    Not getting caught up in this type of stuff is much better for your mind. I also come in early and leave late most of the time. Once in a great while I come in late. I figure I'm an adult, I do good work, the hours average out to WAY over 40 hours per week. I've been told time and time again that's not a good way to look at it. THEY are the bosses and I am a worker. Doesn't matter if I'm salaried or hourly. I need to act like a responsible, hard working employee and follow as many of the rules as I can stand following as much of the time as I can. :-(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pregnant and hours a day working [ 2 Answers ]

I work retail and my boss has me working two days in a row working 11 hours. Can she do this?

Working Hours For A Student Dependent [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. My husband is student in UK and I have got Student Dependent UK visa on him. Could you please tell me if I can work full time in UK? {Moved from Forum Help <>}

The fan keeps working for hours after I turn it off [ 1 Answers ]

I just replaced my old honywell analog thermostat for a RTH230B digital thermostat, the first week everything was OK, but the next week, I tried to turn it off and the fan kept working for hours, no heat, no cold, just air, so now I have my unit working all the time and the mode selector indicates...

'Normal' working hours [ 5 Answers ]

What are normal hours to work? Is there such a thing as a 9 to 5 anymore? I'm currently doing a 40 -50 hour week (without counting breaks) and I'll have to say it's killing me. :( Can anyone suggest careers which are a little less labour intensive. I'm not lazy just tired! I'll be a biochem...

View more questions Search