Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lyubakim Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2009, 02:58 PM
    OPT -> H1B, spouse F2->H4, tax filing & ss and medicare taxes
    Hello,

I came to US from China in January 2006, and graduated December 2007. I started to work from Feb. 2008. From Feb. 2008 to Sep. 2008, I worked with my OPT. My visa status was changed from F1 to H1B on Oct. 1 2008 and my spouse's changed from F2 to H4.
    My employer paid Social Security and Medicare taxes during my OPT.

In this case, what is the best way to refund Social Security and Medicare taxes from Feb. 2008 to Sep. 2008 and file the tax return? Which form should my wife and I use?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 3, 2009, 02:03 PM
    You first must request a refund from the employer. The IRS requires this, and the employer should have an incentive to cooperate because he gets a refund as well.

If not, get the refusal in writing on company letterhead and then file Form 843, with supporting documents, to the IRS to request a refund.

If you need professional help, contact me at [email protected].
    kims4you Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2009, 02:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    You first must request a refund from the employer. The IRS requires this, and the employer should have an incentive to cooperate because he gets a refund as well.

If not, get the refusal in writing on company letterhead and then file Form 843, with supporting documents, to the IRS to request a refund.

If you need professional help, contact me at [email protected].
    Hi, AtlantaTaxExpert,

Thank you for your kind answer.

I requested, but the company didn't give me the refusal letter and just want me to apply it by myself. Also the company doesn't have its own letterhead papers since it is a small company.

Can I write the statement by myself that says I requested but rejected?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 9, 2009, 12:53 PM
    Yes, you can submit Form 8316 in place of the letter from your company.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Spouse is on H4, but has SSN with maiden name, filing taxes [ 1 Answers ]

My spouse first came to the US on J-1 visa. She returned to her home country for 3 years and now is back in the US on H4 visa. We married during the 3 year period she was at home country. She has a SSN but her last name has changed now. She went to SSA office and they told her that they could not...

Filing taxes without spouse [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am presently filing my taxes with myspouswho has his own business, recently he has become very sluggish filing his taxes, which has become an issue in our relationship. This year I found out that he has tax liens and not to mention, we have 3 years of back taxes to pay. I am very upset...

Non-resident H4, ITIN number, e-filing, jointly filing taxes with spouse [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I've got a couple of questions. My spouse is a resident (H1) and I'm on an H4 visa. I'm a non-resident based on the substantial presence test. When we file our taxes 1) Do I need to get a ITIN number before we file our joint taxes? How long would it take to get one? 2) Once I have the...

View more questions Search