Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yug65 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2009, 02:52 PM
    I am being sued by American Express
    I just got served a summons saying I am being sued by American Express Centurion Bank for $24,610.93. The paper says I have 30 days from January 7th to file a written response to be given to the plaintiff. I just received this summons today, though on the document they have it stamped as January 7th. What happens if I just ignore it? Can anything happen if I don't respond? I wasn't actually served it was left with the plumber who was working in my apt. Can wages be garnished on a credit card debt? It looks like I am being sued by a collections agency. What is the worst that can happen? I would appreciate any advise I could get regarding this.

Thank you!
    drew_carey Posts: 6, Reputation: -1

Feb 17, 2009, 02:30 PM

You should apply for welfare.
    WendyWilliams Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2009, 04:06 PM
    If you are being sued by American Express, that means you have really let the relationship between you and the company deteriorate beyond belief. Typically they like to keep their relationships with customers under wraps. Even customers that default for thousands of dollars are given chance after chance to pay. And if they do pay, they are often allowed to get credit cards with Amex again -- albeit at lower limits.

So, given all of that. I would say get a lawyer. If you can't pay and you don't show up in court, your bank accounts will be seized. If you own anything else, it will also be seized.

You've clearly been ignoring Amex for months. So, I understand that that's your first instinct. Nonetheless, you should get a lawyer to protect your rights
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2009, 04:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by WendyWilliams View Post
    If you own anything else, it will also be seized.
    Easy there, Wendy... that's saying a lot that isn't likely to happen.

Besides, this post is 4 months old so whatever has happened in court, has most likely already happened.
    elahoo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2010, 12:51 PM
    Wendy is a bit heavy-winded in her response but she did get one thing right- get a lawyer! The truth is that AMEX (or whoever owns the debt and is suing you) will obtain a summary judgment against you if you don't appear in court, giving them the right to collect on the debt (they're more likely to garnish wages than try to seize property). It is hard to answer your question given the brevity of information. Offer your audience here more detail, such as: 1) is AMEX suing you or a junk debt buyer? 2) Do you actually owe the money? If not, then when you go to court, you can require them to "prove" that you owe them money (this requirement is taken care of when you (or your lawyer) answers the complaint that you received with your summons. 3) when was your last payment to anyone (AMEX) before you became delinquent? 4) Go to Allen Harkelroad's website- he's got the scoop for you on how to get out of this mess, but you've definitely got your work cut out for you if you do owe the money.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Served a summons/being sued for credit card debt/first time being sued [ 2 Answers ]

I have been served a summons by first class mail of a lawsuit against me by an asset collection agency on behalf of a credit card company. The asset company has purchased the debt,in an amount just over $1000. My question is how do I proceed as I have never been sued before. I currently am...

American Express [ 23 Answers ]

I have an credit card account with American Express that was opened up several years ago while still married to my (now) ex-husband. During the divorce, I had to ask American Express to close the account because the ex kept trying to use it! After the divorce, I called them to try to change my...

If you're Sued. [ 4 Answers ]

If a credit card company sues you ,what can they get? I mean can they garnish your wages, or cause you to lose your house, or have you thrown in jail. I have heard these rumors.

View more questions Search