Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Spider38 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2009, 02:14 PM
    What is the purpose of a duct leading from the outside into the basement?
    In the basement of a condominium, there is a duct that leads from the outside into the basement. Looking from the basement, this duct is connected to nothing. What is the purpose of this duct?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Feb 2, 2009, 06:11 PM
    Could be a fresh air make up or could be for combustion air. It is there for a reason so do not mess with it.
    dac122 Posts: 463, Reputation: 17

Feb 3, 2009, 06:12 AM

If you are concerned then bring in a pro who can go through all the possibilities such as hvac1000 mentioned. Make sure you cover all bases as this could even be some kind of Radon abatement solution.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the purpose of the screw on cap on sewer line in basement. [ 6 Answers ]

I know it is to give access to snaking out sewer pipe if there is a clog... but, my question is... does the cap need to be on to keep pressure in the line to prevent clogs? Is there a health hazzard if the cap only sits on the opening? Any info would be great!

New duct in basement bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

I have a framed in bathroom in my basement that I need to add a heat duct in. The bathroom is directly beside the furnace. The rectangular vent heating the north side of the home runs through the top of the new bathroom. Can I tap directly into this in order to add heat to this new bathroom? ...

Drain in stairwell leading to basement door clogged [ 2 Answers ]

Hi The drain in front of the basement door (walk up basement) was clogged when it rained. My father took up 10 buckets of water, but water was coming out of the drain instead of getting into the drain. Our house is faily new (two years old) and therefore, could it be a technical problem? Or do you...

Metal Basement Duct work change out for PVC [ 5 Answers ]

I have a rectuangular suppluy and return system that feed from from furnace at one end of my basement. It has two main leads out. They branch off and finally reduct to a single duct at the far end of my house. I'm looking to put in a drop celling and would love to swap out my existing duct work...

Shifting Duct in Basement [ 1 Answers ]

I am new to the world of home ownership and have a question about shifting the main duct line in our basement. Currently the duct line runs down the center of the basement ceiling and we'd like to move it over 24" to achieve more head room. Unfortunately (for me) this requires a new piece of 59"...

View more questions Search