Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Leeboy Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

Feb 2, 2009, 01:00 PM
    Ceramic tiling costs.
    Im a painter by trade, and my customer wants me to lay 400 sq feet of tiling on the floors. ( roughly 400 tiles) I have no idea what people are charging by the tile or by the sq foot any ballpark ideas would be great... Thanks!
    Bljack Posts: 245, Reputation: 28

Feb 2, 2009, 01:11 PM
    Rates will vary big time from one area of the country to another and often the proper site preparation takes much longer than the actual installation. What area are you from, what is involved here? Flooring rip up? Slab or wood framed floor? Plywood or plank subfloor, ceramic (or porcelain) or stone? What sized tile? Open area or all cut up? Straight lay or pattern? Joist spacing and span? Any extras like an epoxy grout?

Being a painter, you know all about how the unseen prep affects the final outcome, so post back as much of those goodies as you know and I'll try to help you come up with a price that's fair to you and your customer. :)
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 2, 2009, 05:57 PM

Leeboy, it really boils down to what you think your time is worth. You aren't a tiling pro so trying to be competitive isn't really the right approach. If a tiler charges $2 s/f , he is including all of his tools costs, insurance, taxes , etc... Just a thought.
    Livewire411 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2009, 06:58 PM
    I have a small Handyman business and whenever I'm asked to lay tile. I charge $1 per square foot for labour only... the cost of all other materials is extra.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceramic tiling, ceiling [ 9 Answers ]

What is the best way to install ceramic tile in a bathroom shower on the ceiling. Once you place the tiles, do they have to be supported until the thinset dries? If so, how have you done this?

Shower Tiling with Lowe's cheap ceramic tiles [ 12 Answers ]

Lowe's here in the New Orleans area has a 49 cents/sq ft-- l7 1/4 CERAMIC tile that I would like to use on my backer-boarded shower walls. The backer board will be waterproofed and now I have to tile it! :confused: :confused: :confused: I have never done this before and have been told way too...

Porcellaine / ceramic tiling [ 1 Answers ]

What are the this / advantages of porcellaine and ceramic tiles Especially: Is it really more difficult to lay porcellaine - why Which one is more robust / does not show scrates easily Thanks guys

How-To-Install ceramic Tiling [ 1 Answers ]

Looking for some advice on how to install and cut ceramic tiles. Looking for the Micky Mouse version of how to do this. :eek:

Attaching ceramic corner shelf to ceramic tiles [ 3 Answers ]

I want to add a couple of ceramic shelves to my bathroom ceramic tub surround. What can you use to attach ceramic shelves to ceramic tiles? I tried the same glue used to put tiles on the drywall but they just slide. Thanks in advance!

View more questions Search