Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2009, 11:58 AM
    Michael Phelps
    Does anyone care that Michael Phelps was caught on camera smoking a bong? I know I don't. If anything it is more amazing to me that he won 8 gold medals because I am sure that picture of him was not the first time he smoked.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2009, 12:19 PM

I think the President has him tabbed for Drug Tzar .

I think he shot himself in the foot . I'm sure his many corporate sponsors are going to have 2nd thoughts
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2009, 12:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    I think the President has him tabbed for Drug Tzar .

I think he shot himself in the foot . I'm sure his many corporate sponsors are going to have 2nd thoughts
    LOL Drug Czar that is funny. Yeah I think the Corporate sponsors are going to dry up. Although Rosetta Stone already has him as a sponsor they could use that picture as an ad and say something Like "Rosetta Stone, so easy even a stoner can remember it."
    TexasParent Posts: 378, Reputation: 73

Feb 2, 2009, 12:52 PM

If his sponsorship deals could have amounted to 50 million dollars, I would say they are worth about 10 million now.

Here's a kid who spent his entire childhood chasing the ultimate sporting dream. Now once achieved he has a chance to be a kid again and try a few things; shame it's going to cost him so much money, but I honestly don't think he would change it for the world.

The apology was obviously crafted by his agent and his other financial managers who stand to lose money too and want to minimize the damage.

Good for him letting his hair down, if half the kids in this country had his dedication towards something I would hand them a bong myself ;)
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2009, 02:25 PM
    Hello:

Yeah, that stuff is baaaaad for you.. Smoke enough, and you could win a gold medal.

If anyone needed a reason, amongst the jillion or so reasons out there, to legalize pot, this is it.

excon
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2009, 02:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello:

Yeah, that stuff is baaaaad for ya.. Smoke enough, and you could win a gold medal.

If anyone needed a reason, amongst the jillion or so reasons out there, to legalize pot, this is it.

excon
    You know I was thinking the same thing. He should start to lobby to make it legal. And correction Ex Smoke enough and you could win 8 gold medals and set world records!!
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2009, 02:35 PM

I personally don't care, but he did shoot himself in the foot.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Feb 2, 2009, 03:14 PM
    I think it's kind of sad. Because you know if someone had taken a picture of him falling-down-drunk no one would care.
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2009, 04:40 PM

Who cares. And apparently the sponsors don't have a problem at all either.

Phelps backed by sponsors after marijuana photo - Swimming - Sport - smh.com.au
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2009, 05:14 PM

The Maryland State Police who arrested him for DUI (or related) charge a few years cared about his alcohol consumption.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Feb 2, 2009, 05:38 PM
    Winning 8 golds in the olypics, a superhuman effort. A error in judgement, makes him human, like the rest of us.

Give him a break, it's not like he was killing dogs :rolleyes:

G&P
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2009, 05:43 PM
    I think his DUI is of bigger concern. I'm sure the sponsors aren't happy, but he's a kid doing what all kids do. Unfortunately in the world we are living in, he should be more careful about who he hangs out with. What kind of "friend" leak the picture?
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2009, 07:24 PM

It was a matter of time before someone sold that picture to the highest bidder. I guess the lesson of that story is to watch out for who is snapping pictures and don't keep pictures like that around. Burn them because when your on top some people are looking for ways to bring you down out of jealousy.
    MarkwithaK Posts: 955, Reputation: 107

Feb 2, 2009, 07:35 PM

Apparently I am in the minority here because I have a serious problem with this. Yeah it's a cliché but think about the example he is setting for those that looked up to him. While I do not have any kids of my own I do have a nephew that is like a son to me and if he ever started smoking pot because he saw that Phelps does it and he turned out OK I would be pissed! Is it likely to happen? No. But as parents are you wiling to take that chance? Put whatever justification you want on it but the reality is that it IS illegal and this guy is supposed to be a role model.

Feb 2, 2009, 09:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkwithaK View Post
    Apparently I am in the minority here because I have a serious problem with this. Yeah it's a cliche but think about the example he is setting for those that looked up to him. While I do not have any kids of my own I do have a nephew that is like a son to me and if he ever started smoking pot because he saw that Phelps does it and he turned out OK I would be pissed! Is it likely to happen? No. But as parents are you wiling to take that chance? Put whatever justification you want on it but the reality is that it IS illegal and this guy is supposed to be a role model.
    Alcohol, Tobacco Worse Than Illegal Drugs?, British Study Finds Them More Dangerous Than Some Illegal Narcotics - CBS News

Well the illegality of marijuana needs to change. My mother was an alcoholic, and even regular drinking is worse for you than weed. The social costs of alcohol are enormous, including the damage within families.

You wouldn't think twice if there was a picture of him at a bar celebrating with his friends and having a drink in his hand.

What message do you really want to give your nephew? Drinking is OK and not bad for you because it's ingrained in our culture, or do you want to tell him the TRUTH for the sake of his health; "If you ever are going to use a mind altering drug, remember Marijuana is alot healthier than Alcohol".

You could add that Michael Phelps learned a lesson from his DWI, and switched to Marijauna. Just another example of how his life is blessed ;)

P.S. If you are wondering if I am simply a marijuana smoker trying to advance a cause, the truth is the last time I smoked Marijauna was over 30 years ago; I have no desire to make it legal other than the fact I DO KNOW the effects of Alcohol on families, society, drivers, etc. and would like for people to have a healthier choice become legal; a drug that mellows people out, doesn't depress them, enrage them, or worse. // Oh, and I don't drink either.

Feb 2, 2009, 09:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasParent View Post

You wouldn't think twice if there was a picture of him at a bar celebrating with his friends and having a drink in his hand.
    Yes I most certainly would but that is not the case here. My point is that this guy has a responsibility to set an example. Now you might argue that he didn't ask for this responsibility and you may be correct but if he didn't want it then he should have just won his medals and kept low, not go about the media frenzy he did. The man has been labeled as an Olympic Hero think about what that entails.

Feb 2, 2009, 09:44 PM
    Yes I most certainly would but that is not the case here. My point is that this guy has a responsibility to set an example. Now you might argue that he didn't ask for this responsibility and you may be correct but if he didn't want it then he should have just won his medals and kept low, not go about the media frenzy he did. The man has been labeled as an Olympic Hero think about what that entails.
    As I said in an earlier post, personally I don't think he cares. I think his handlers care, but I think he wants to be the kid he missed being while he was pursuing his goals.

To him I don't think it was about the money or being a hero (that's what we made him), I think he simply wanted to compete at the highest level and win. He's done that, greatest swimmer ever. So what if from 50 million dollars to 20 million dollars he goes, it was never about the money, it never is at that level.

He's just a kid being a kid, it's too bad that we expect the people we brand as hero's to be perfect; that just to big a burden to put on anyone. Look what he gave to America and now we want more from him, we want him to be perfect, remain perfect. Geez... maybe we could give back to him for once and cut him some slack and you could explain to your nephew the reality of life that nobody is perfect; we are all flawed in some manner. Wouldn't that be a better lesson for him?

Feb 2, 2009, 09:55 PM
    but I think he wants to be the kid he missed being while he was pursuing his goals.
    That was a choice he made on his own. It was a sacrifice and he had to have known that going in to think otherwise would be ridiculous. Once you accomplish that you don't necessarily get to go back. Life doesn't work that way.

He's just a kid being a kid, it's too bad that we expect the people we brand as hero's to be perfect; that just to big a burden to put on anyone. Look what he gave to America and now we want more from him, we want him to be perfect, remain perfect. Geez...maybe we could give back to him for once and cut him some slack and you could explain to your nephew the reality of life that nobody is perfect; we are all flawed in some manner. Wouldn't that be a better lesson for him?
    You are correct. No one is perfect. But at this level you simply cannot pick what standards you apply to someone in his position. Can you honestly say that if your child decided to smoke pot and justified it to you that way you are trying to do now, you would be 100% OK with it?

Feb 2, 2009, 10:09 PM
    That was a choice he made on his own. It was a sacrifice and he had to have known that going in to think otherwise would be ridiculous. Once you accomplish that you don't necessarily get to go back. Life doesn't work that way.

You are correct. No one is perfect. But at this level you simply cannot pick and choose what standards you apply to someone in his position. Can you honestly say that if your child decided to smoke pot and justified it to you that way you are trying to do now, you would be 100% OK with it?
    When Michael Phelps started this journey he was a small kid and step by step through his dedication he climbed the ladder of possibility that he might go to the Olympics. All the while he is a kid in a cocoon of countless hours swimming and keeping up with his studies. Do you think he devoted a lot of time pondering what he was giving up in terms of a childhood or what he might act like once he achieved his goal? No, he simply put in the time; over and over and over again with a single mindedness to get better.

This man/boy didn't have a lot of time to mature through the normal mistakes other kids make or the mistakes of his peers and most of his peers were as dedicated as him.

So I don't think it was a choice for him, life and success just happened as a result of a singlemindedness to be the best; and nothing would distract him from that goal.

--------------------

So if my son, like your nephew said to me; Michael Phelps smokes pot, Michael Phelps drinks. I would say, yes son he is now an adult and he can choose to do those things; but remember, Michael Phelps took care of his goals and responsibilities first like any mature person does. He didn't do those things while he was in pursuit of his goals.

So if you want to accept the responsibility to try alcohol or pot like Michael Phelps has, then make sure you achieve your goals and responsibilities first; because if you don't, these drugs can take you away from achieving those goals. Michael Phelps was smart, he waited until he succeeded with his swimming and schooling.
    Are those things good for him, no son; ultimately they are not. However adults often make decisions they regret later, and I'm certain that Michael Phelps will someday regret that he smoked pot, or drank, or did anything that potentially harmed himself or others around him, but he's human and it may take a while for him to figure that out if ever.

Feb 2, 2009, 10:21 PM
    Michael Phelps was smart, he waited until he succeeded with his swimming and schooling.
    If you actually believe that this was something that he only recently started then are kidding yourself.

In looking back I realize that I didn't make my main point very clear and that is that the man broke the law. Pure and simple. You can make all the arguments you want about the health risks of pot as opposed to alcohol but that at this point in time marijuana is illegal. Now that being said would everyone be so willing to give him a mulligan if it were some other infraction?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What does Michael Steele need to do? [ 14 Answers ]

"“We’re going to bring this party to every corner, every boardroom, every street and every community in this country. . . . To those of you who want to obstruct, get ready to get knocked over.” Michael Steele

Michael Johnson-Fastest man ever? [ 4 Answers ]

When Michael Johnson ran 19.32secs for the 200m in Atlanta 96', taking into account he ran a bend but was already hitting top speed when entering the second 100, would his average speed in this race have been fast enough to better the current 100m record of 9.77secs? Is there anyway of working this...

Metallica and Michael Jackson [ 1 Answers ]

Is there anyone like Michael Jackson and Metallica? Is there anyone could tell me some updated news about Metallica?

Michael Bloomberg [ 4 Answers ]

NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg was a Democrat. For opportunistic reasons he switched political parties to Republican in 2001 so he could get himself on the ballot for a NY City campaign . He poured enough of his own money into the race that he won the job. He will complete his 2nd term and is looking...

View more questions Search