Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    2313stephen Posts: 65, Reputation: 3

Feb 2, 2009, 11:50 AM
    What is strep throat?
    What is strep throat? I live in Uk and have never heard this term used before. I have been unwell for nearly two weeks, sore tonsils, back of tongue sore and coughing up yucky green stuff. Does anyone have any ideas. Going back to the Doctor in 2 days.
    JJCH Posts: 122, Reputation: 7

Feb 2, 2009, 12:04 PM

Straight from wikipedia

Streptococcal pharyngitis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    2313stephen Posts: 65, Reputation: 3

Feb 2, 2009, 12:14 PM

I was born with cleft palate and have very little in the tonsil department, Do you know if its still possible to get strep throat?
    JJCH Posts: 122, Reputation: 7

Feb 2, 2009, 01:03 PM

Oh yes you can still get strept with no (or in your case small) tonsils. Strept is a bacterial infection that infects the throat, not just the tonsils. Strept throat requires treatment with anti biotics to kill the bacterial infection.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Cures for sore throat, possible strep? [ 8 Answers ]

Well I have a very bad sore throat right now... I can barely talk! I have had this for three days, I have a doctors appointment on Wednesday to see if I have strep (which I get at least once a year) and to get on antibiotics. But till then, I want it to stop hurting so badly! I have tried the...

Strep throat after tonsillectomy? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, Is it likely or possible for a person/child to get strep throat again after having a tonsillectomy? I thought "strep throat" was the same thing as "tonsillitis".. . no more tonsils, no more strep throat..?

Recurrent strep throat after tonsillectomy [ 8 Answers ]

My daughters ages 9 and 6 had their tonsils removed 2 yrs ago for recurrent strep. However, they continue to get strep throat. They each have tested positive 3 times in the past 6 months. We have had everyone in the family tested to see if they were carriers and all were negative. We finish all...

Strep throat [ 2 Answers ]

So my sister thinks she has strep throat... shes 26... she says its hard to swallow.. she feels like her her throat is smaller than usual.. she says it takes her time to actually swallow... she feels like she constantly has to clear her throat.. when she coughs its like a dry cough... her head...

Strep throat meds and yeast infections. [ 6 Answers ]

So, here's the deal. 12 days ago I caught strep throat from a girl at work. I got medication from the hospital here in town on New Years Eve. I started them that night. The bottle says '30 CAP APO AMOXI 500MG'. Out of the thirty pills I only took 14. During this time, a sore opened up on the inside...

View more questions Search