Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ah03 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2009, 11:41 AM
    Debt Settlement Company Refund-Breach of Contract?
    I am in the process of trying to get a refund from a debt settlement company that I signed up with. They are refusing to give me a refund of the fees (big surprise). The fees were calculated by taking the total amount of debt owed times 15%. However, they have never settled ANY of my accounts. While talking to the company regarding a refund, I noticed that in the original contract that was signed with them, my student loan was included in the amount. AFTER signing the contract, the company informed me that could not be included because it was a government loan. When I brought this to their attention, they said they sent me paperwork with these changes but never received anything back from me. I never received anything from them regarding changes or amendments to the original contract.

My question is: Are they in breach of contract? If there is a change made to a contract that has already been signed, does this have to be done in writing and does it need to be signed off on to approve the changes? I and the company are in the state of Texas.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 2, 2009, 11:44 AM

If they never settled ANY of your debts they are in breach. But if your only issue is the student loan, then I think you would lose.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Debt settlement company [ 3 Answers ]

Anyone use US Debt Relief, INC? If so are you pleased with them? I am looking for a DSC now and feel overwhelmed with the thought of getting screwed. I have made some initial contact with Oakview Law Group through debtconsolidationcare.com. Anyone heard of them? I guess I'm looking for a...

Debt settlement company [ 4 Answers ]

Does anybody out there know of a reliable and honest debt settlement company that can actually deliver there promises. I would appreciate anyone's input since I'm in the process of finding one. Thank you

Getting refund from debt settlement company [ 3 Answers ]

I started with a debt settlement company (GHS Debt Solutions) in Oct 2008. I was desperate and misunderstood "how" they actually negotiate the debts. I am out $1100 and they have informed me that I am not due a refund because it was money "earned". I read the contract and have found that...

Choosing Debt Settlement Company [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I have approximately $9000 in unsecured debt and have been trying to find the right company to go with. However, I have heard horror stories of people getting ripped off by shady "debt settlement firms". Does anyone out there have an idea of which company is the best and is honest? ...

Sued for CC Debt (Breach of Contract) [ 2 Answers ]

I am being Sued for A CC (FNANB) debt by 3rd Party (Midland Funding). I have no knowledge of ever having this account. I live in Missouri and this account was closed 8/2004 last payment was 12/2003. Long Story Short this is the 2nd time Midland Funding is suing me on this account the First Suit...

View more questions Search