Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kendravixie Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2006, 12:36 PM
    Sneaky Apartment Complex Woes
    During the heat wave this summer, my air conditioner gave out. Not only gave out, constantly froze over.

My apartment complex, whose responsibilities include the AC unit, heater, and other basic utilities and their upkeep, fixed the problem _temporarily_.

They stated that they had arrived at a permanent fix after sealing a leaking pipe at the indoor unit.

However, while I was at work for the day and my significant other was visiting, he noticed that a technician had come by to refill my freon nearly 100% of its capacity.

The apartment complex has constantly been refilling the freon every few days while I'm either away or at work and have NOT fixed any freon leak nor have they replaced the unit!

Is freon leaking a health hazard? Should I inform authorities? This particular problem has been ongoing for nearly two weeks and I have not seen anyone replace the unit, only refill the freon back to 100% of its capacity (nearly the entire tank or holding area for the freon)!

To my knowledge, that much freon should only be replaced every few years, not days!

Help? Who do I contact? Links? Health Warnings? Authorities?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 8, 2006, 01:12 PM
    I assume this is an individual unit through the wall or in a window. I would get a licensed A/C repairman to give you an estimate on what needs to be done, then present it to the complex management.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2006, 01:24 PM
    I like Scott's angle, but let me give my piece from my landlord and maintenance guy angle.

Freon is expensive. In a short time refilling the system every few days will quickly become more expensive than repair. Your landlord knows this and he's in the business to make a profit... so I will first guess that "every few days" is probably not correct.

You have a potential unauthorized entry issue going on here, so I would right away go right to the landlord:

"I know you've had to continually (or whatever is the right word that you know to be right) add coolant to my system - and entering my apartment without the proper notice. What is up? What will it take to fix it right and how long will it take?"

That may speed things up a bit.
    caibuadday Posts: 460, Reputation: 10

Aug 8, 2006, 03:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kendravixie
    During the heat wave this summer, my air conditioner gave out. Not only gave out, constantly froze over.

My apartment complex, whose responsibilities include the AC unit, heater, and other basic utilities and their upkeep, fixed the problem _temporarily_.

They stated that they had arrived at a permanent fix after sealing a leaking pipe at the indoor unit.

However, while I was at work for the day and my significant other was visiting, he noticed that a technician had come by to refill my freon nearly 100% of its capacity.

The apartment complex has constantly been refilling the freon every few days while I'm either away or at work and have NOT fixed any freon leak nor have they replaced the unit!

Is freon leaking a health hazard? Should I inform authorities? This particular problem has been ongoing for nearly two weeks and I have not seen anyone replace the unit, only refill the freon back to 100% of its capacity (nearly the entire tank or holding area for the freon)!

To my knowledge, that much freon should only be replaced every few years, not days!

Help? Who do I contact? Links? Health Warnings? Authorities?
    Adding freon to a leaking system without attemptto repaire the leak violate federal law ,EPA. Let the local building official know, or remind the tech that could lost his license and fine
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Aug 18, 2006, 04:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by caibuadday
    adding freon to a leaking system without attemptto repaire the leak violate federal law ,EPA. let the local building official know, or remind the tech that could lost his license and fine
    Please read the EPA rule on this. It is not illegal on systems under 5 ton. Now I did not say it was not stupid to keep adding refrigerant but there is an exception on smaller units in the code. In our area the building official could not care less about refrigerant leaks. The building official has no legal authority on this issue.

I bet the manitaince man at the complex is not certified also.

Thought I would also mention I am certified by the State of Ohio and Nationally as a Building Inspector. HVAC Mechanical Inspector, Electric Safety Inspector and also I am a Chief Building Inspector for my jurisdiction.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fire Damage to Apartment - Landlord using to upgrade apartment [ 8 Answers ]

Earlier this year my apartment was minimally damaged by a fire. The exact cause of the fire is unknown, however it is believed that my cat knocked something onto the stove which then turned on and burned the basket. Fire damage to the apartment was restricted to the kitchen stove area. Smoke...

A sneaky nature... [ 18 Answers ]

My husband of 30 years has fantazied with every woman he comes in contact with, even as we are together. He sneaks winks, touchs and speical connections with any woman, regardless if he knows her or not. It seems to be a challenge to see if he can get them to respond. When we are in public he is...

2 complex [ 4 Answers ]

ok,here's my delima. I went out with my boyfriend last year and we broke up during the summer for my family issues. I tried to forget about him and move on. well when school started, a new student came to my neighborhood and we became friends. she started to like him and I told her go head b/c i...

An Integral (Complex) [ 2 Answers ]

Dear Friends! I can't find any solution 4 this Integral. I know the correct Answer, but don't know why. Could u please help me out?? Regards Amir P.s : The Question is attached to this mail

View more questions Search