Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Feb 2, 2009, 08:33 AM
    Is it possible to recover child support arrears in small claims court?
    I am in Canada, and have been unable to find information that a friend needs on collecting back child support payments.

She was awarded over $2500.00 in what was owing, plus he was ordered to pay a regular amount each month, plus extra to cover the outstanding balance.

He hasn't paid any of it.

He is self-employed, and declares only a small fraction of what he earns.

FRO (Family Responsibility Office) has not acted upon this court order, to collect anything, even assets, and they are in a legal position to do.

The debt just keeps adding up, month after month.

Is it an option for a person to file a small claims court action, for the $2500.00 she was already awarded in court over two years ago?
    SaraKammeraad Posts: 82, Reputation: 2

Feb 2, 2009, 08:36 AM

From my understanding I do not believe that your friend can take this case to small clams court, however the FRO should has a way to enforce the obligation. Such as have him arrested and pay so much to get out. They may have other possibilities also that she may want to look into. But the only way to get it paid is through the FRO.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2009, 08:41 AM
    Hello Jake:

If she has a court order, then getting a new court order won't change things... Besides, she won't be able to get one..

If she needs the FRO to step up, then she has to begin a concerted campaign to get these bureaucrats off their duffs. She could begin by calling on the telephone, and asking to speak to supervisors when she doesn't get a satisfactory answer. She should follow up ALL these calls with certified letters documenting the conversations, and sending copies to supervisors, and MP's (isn't that what your congressmen are called?).

There's more to it than that, but if she works it properly, she'll be a squeaky wheel, and it'll get greased...

excon
    Emotional Health Expert

Feb 2, 2009, 08:42 AM
    I was afraid of that.

FRO has not acted. Part of this is that he will toss a few extra bucks in to show 'he's making an effort', but at the end of the month, the regular payment is never in full.

FRO did turn the heat up about a year ago, and then he went to court to have the order adjusted because he claimed he made even less money than the year before.

It should be legal to take them to small claims. At least that way, with a judgment, she would have options herself that would likely be easier to enforce.

Thanks for the answer, appreciate that.
    Emotional Health Expert

Feb 2, 2009, 08:46 AM
    ALL these calls with certified letters documenting the conversations, and sending copies to supervisors, and MP's
    Not a bad idea at all. I will pass that on to her tonight. Names, dates, letters to back it up. Then send a stack off to our local MP (that is correct by the way ;).

Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Small Claims Court [ 47 Answers ]

I have been sued in Small Claims Court by a debt collector. I filed an answer and then received a pretrial conference order. I would like to file a motion to dismiss because debt collectors can not sue in small claims court in Texas. I would like to know if I can file my motion now or must I wait...

Child support arrears [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I live in Texas. He has children for whom he pays child support however he has substantial arrears. Can a lien be placed against our home or can my IRS refund be garnished to satisfy his arrears/past due support? The home is in my name solely and I didn't indicate married when...

What can I ask for in small claims court? [ 5 Answers ]

Paid $1200 for wedding pics sept. '06 and haven't received anything. Had contract. The contract clearly states the location of the ceremony. After wedding they added $250 in extra fees. Haven't paid the fees. The photographer claims the location was farhter than he had expected (even though the...

View more questions Search