Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mimi888 Posts: 71, Reputation: 3

Feb 2, 2009, 01:13 AM
    Kava
    Anyone have personal experience with kava? Mainly want to try it to reduce anxiety but I don't want it to hinder my daily activities by making me drowsy.
    Did it make you drowsy?
    ROLCAM Posts: 1,420, Reputation: 23
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2009, 02:35 AM

Kava, is the name of two shrubs related to the pepper plant. They are also called ava. They grow in Australia and the Pacific Islands. Kavas grow as tall as 5 feet (1.5 meters). They have round leaves and small yellowish-cream flowers. The plants are easy to raise in greenhouses. They are grown from cuttings from the stem. The roots yield a juice called kavaic acid. The peoples of the South Pacific use the juice to make a fermented drink called kava, ava, or kavakava.

Scientific classification. The kavas are in the pepper family, Piperaceae. The scientific names for the two kinds are Piper methysticum and P. excelsum.

Contributor: Hugh C. Price, Ph.D. Prof. and Chairperson, Department of Horticultural Science, Cornell Univ.

-
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2009, 03:43 AM

Hi, mimi888!

Most of what ROLCAM stated above is quoted form the following site:

HowStuffWorks "Kava"

Now, I don't have any personal experience with Kava. But, you might find quite a bit of information concerning the side effects of using it, if you click on the following link.

Kava Side Effects - Google Search

I wish for you only the best!

Thanks!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2009, 04:41 AM
    Thanks for the reference, ROLCAM! I hope that you continue to cite references and authors on this site when you post things!

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search