Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    whiskers5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2006, 07:59 AM
    Credit Card Judgement
    What is a credit card judgement and what are my rights?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 8, 2006, 09:45 AM
    It is where you have a credit card and you are not paying the required minimun amount each month. The credit card company then takes you to court, and gets a judgemenmt, with that judgement they can attach ( take money out) of your bank accounts, ( all of the money toward paying the bill) and they can get a garnishment ( money right out of your pay check) till that debt is paid.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 8, 2006, 10:04 AM
    ANY judgement is essentially a court order that acknowledges that you own a debt and gives the creditor the right to seize certain assets in repayment of that debt. Not all assets can be seized and the judgement might even specify what assets can be seized.

Your rights are to appear at the judgement hearing and plead your case. Either that the debt is not yours, or that seizing of your assets would be ruinous to you. The judge would then rule on this and modify the judgement (or not) accordingly.
    inlove02 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2006, 07:19 PM
    Van a judgement be served without one knowing and how can I find out if a judgement is against me

Sep 5, 2006, 05:23 AM
    Anyone suing you is required to exercise due diligence in attempting to contact you. They have to show proof that you were either served a summons or such service was reasonably attempted. But it is possible that if you don't appear in court a judgement could be entered against you.

As to finding out if one exists, you would have to know what court the suit was bought in to determine that.

Why would you think you might have one?
    mrGEE Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2006, 05:19 PM
    I have a judgement against me , I have social security and VA compensation, and a small company pension which I think is cover by eurisa, today I got a letter from a lawyer wanting to know my assets, job , which I have none car , none house ,noneall I have is the ssdi, and the VA and the pension, can the judge call me in to pay??

Sep 12, 2006, 07:22 PM
    Um, you have NO obligation to respond to the atty. He's fishing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is a judgement by a credit card [ 5 Answers ]

What does it mean when a credit card company has a judgement against you?

Credit card judgement [ 20 Answers ]

I have a few judgements against me from past due credit cards and I am trying to sell my house In NY and make a fresh start. I have every intention of paying these judgements after I get settled in my new area. I am concered that the judgements may bite me in the... when it comes time to close on...

Credit card judgement [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 credit card judgements against me and have recently filed for bankruptcy-do I need to file a motion to vacate these judgements or is it automatic with the discharge?

Credit card [ 2 Answers ]

Why would a credit card company offer to take a settlement of $4,700 on a debt of $29,000?

I Need Credit Card [ 2 Answers ]

I Need Credit Card To Purchase Some Books

View more questions Search