Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lorraine007 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2009, 05:47 PM
    Required minimum temp of heat in NY
    What is the minimum temperature of the apartment in Yonkers, NY? My average temp is 61 degrees, even though I sealed all the windows and gaps. I am on a month to month and all three tenants agree that she does not give us enough heat or hot water, yet we are all afraid she will remind us "If you don't like it, you can leave." Any suggestions??
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2009, 05:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lorraine007 View Post
    What is the minimum temperature of the apartment in Yonkers, NY? My average temp is 61 degrees, even though I sealed all the windows and gaps. I am on a month to month and all three tenants agree that she does not give us enough heat or hot water, yet we are all afraid she will remind us "If you don't like it, you can leave." Any suggestions???

NY Housing Maintenance Code is: "Between Oct. 1 and May 31, a landlord must provide sufficient heat to maintain apartments at 68 degrees Fahrenheit between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m. when the outside temperature falls below 55.

Between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. she said, heat must be maintained at 55 degrees when the outside temperature falls below 40 degrees. And while it is not uncommon for a steam pipe riser to be the source of heat for a small room such as a bathroom or kitchen, Ms. Russo said, the landlord is nevertheless required by law to provide the minimum heat required by law throughout the apartment."

If you bring it to the landlord's attention, she may very well ask you to leave. You would be able to report her for not providing sufficient heat but my feeling is you would still be evicted, even if she had to make up a reason to do so.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Absolute minimum hair sample required for hydrocodone detection [ 1 Answers ]

I wish to get a hair sample tested for hydrocodone/opiate abuse this is not for evidence but to encourage the subject to seek help. What is the absolute minimun sample required? Also can I use DNA samples from relatives to cross check the hair to determine for sure that the hair is from the proper...

Minimum earned income required? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I was wondering if there is a minimum earned income needed required to be eligible for earned income credit, child tax credit or stimulus. I only have 1 week of earned income that was taxed valued at $850.00 and my wife receives $132.00/wk child support. Also does money received from...

70.5 Minimum Required Distributions working [ 2 Answers ]

I'm retired, can I go back to work at a minimal job & defer the MRD distribution for a few years?

Heat not kicking on until the temp dips below 64 degrees, target temp set to 72 [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, This is my first time posting here, but I figured it was a good place to start for some advice. I just bought a new townhouse a few weeks ago and have been having some heating issues since moving in. The actual furnace (Goodman GMS 8045) was installed in June of '06 while the unit was...

PA State Tax - minimum wages earned before required to file [ 2 Answers ]

Hello my son received his W2 late - He earned $477 in 2006. Is he required to file a PA State tax form? I understand he is not required to file a federal form based on the wages earned. Thank you

View more questions Search