Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mackenzie77 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2009, 04:24 PM
    Commercial Lease Between Family Prior to Power of Sale
    My uncle and aunt got hammered last year on their variety store/gas station business and fell behind on their payments on the property (which they also own). The mortgage company indicated they will do a power of sale on the land at the end of March if full payment is not made. There is no way the two of them will be able to do this and it will kill me to see them basically lose everything while in their early sixties.

My friend had an idea though which consisted of me signing a lease to for the business portion because the commercial lease will have to be upheld by the next owner. This way, while they will lose the land, they will able to make a living by running the business that I've 'leased' from them, the original owners.

I know that normally this type of agreement between family members is fine here in Ontario but with my relatives' financial situation and the fact they already knew a power of sale would be coming, would this type of lease still be binding/legal?

Will the mortgage company challenge this, especially as we know the company would like to sell it to one of their clients (who we know want a lease-free purchase).

This is quite URGENT as all the lawyers, mortgage company, has been screwing over my uncle and aunt over the past year, I desperately want to be able to provide some way to help them.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 1, 2009, 06:12 PM

If it is foreclosed then the lease will not be valid to a new owner. Only if it is sold prior by the owners.

So unless you can make up their payments and allow them to sell the property.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cash Gifts to family advised prior to death estate? [ 4 Answers ]

I wish to pass on a cash gifts to my newborn grandaughter. I understand I may be able to do this up to no more $12,000 in one year w/out tax penalty to my son. Question is , if I withdraw from a retirement IRA will I get taxed on the amount withdrawn at years end. I am 60 years old and not...

Breaking a lease prior to occupancy.lease already signed [ 13 Answers ]

Help. My question is this... i signed a lease to rent a single family home... i gave a 200.00 deposit to hold it/toward security. I am unable to move into the home because i have to go out of state for a very ill family member (mother). ive tried to contact "LANDLORD" several times when i heard of...

Lease Dispute. Lanlord dumped me one week prior [ 3 Answers ]

Hi.. Thanks to anyone that can help. I am a flight attendant moving to nyc on June 1st. I was in contact with a property manager who agreed to rent me a room. I signed a least on April 20th. Sent in a security deposit which was cashed on 5/14. And have a message from landlord stating I was...

Tenant Breaks Lease-Option prior to move in [ 1 Answers ]

Recently my townhouse was on the market and I was approached by someone interested in renting to own. After careful thought and advise from friends and family, I decided to proceed. The person listed terms, that were all agreeable to me, so I bought a contract online and which we completed...

View more questions Search