Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hickory Nut Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2006, 06:01 AM
    Electrical Problem Murray Riding Mower
    I was given a Murray Riding Mower that had nothing when the key was turned . I replaced the blade disengage safety switch and the mower started.
    I get nothing again when the key is turned. I replaced the cellenoid, battery, BDS switch again, and had the starter checked. The seat safety was disconnected when I got the mower and the mower started with it disconnected. I just invested in all new tires so I would hate to take it to the dump. Any suggestions?
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2006, 07:07 PM
    Recheck the seat switch, your overlooking it because it was taken out, the seat switch should still be there (just cut and wired together probabllly) That or it could be a intermittent working keyswitch...
    musicman Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2007, 10:08 AM
    Have Murrary 17 riding mower. It is not starting, but is turning over. Have replaced the battery, solinoid, spark plugs, fuse, cleared the fuel line, drained the fuel filter, and readjusted the magnito gap to .020. No spark noticed on plugs.
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Apr 29, 2007, 05:53 AM
    Save yourself some agony and follow the directions do not skip one because "you have already done it" humor me and you will see the light.

You will need a volt meter and set it to DC volts
    -Check the battery for 12.5 Volts
    -Check the cables attached to the battery for the same voltage checking for good connections
    -Attach the positive side of the volt meter to the + side of the battery and the negative side to the engine block, Still got 12 Volts? If not the ground from battery is bad.

-Now keep the ground on the negative side of battery
    -follow positive cable to the solenoid and hook volt meter on the cable going TO the starter coming from the opposite side of the solenoid.
    Turn key to "start" position you should have 12 + volts

YES-Check the same way on the starter motor where the cable FROM solenoid connects, If less or no voltage then cables or connections bad, If good voltage then starter is bad

NO- Take positive lead from volt meter to small wire going to solenoid and test for 12 Volts with key in the "start" position, If no voltage to small wire safety switch is telling it not to crank or ignition switch is bad (rare) If it does have voltage the solenoid needs replacing (common)

Hope it helps,
    .Don
    jeffNnc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2007, 10:51 AM
    Comment on newaukumdon's post
    Great steps for checking electrical issues
    lforseide Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2007, 01:01 PM
    I have a Craftsman 30" riding lawnmower and it will not start. Gas is OK but I have checked for spark and can't see any. I tried to start it, it fired once and now won't fire. Any ideas?
    Fox racer Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2009, 11:37 AM

Try replacing the key/starting assembly that's what was wrong with my mower. I also bypassed all safety switches and soldered them all together and now I can mow without worrying about stretching my legs and having it cut out on me=P
    HIGHDOLLAR6 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2012, 06:35 AM
    I have a murray11hp/38 cut tecumseh motor, was running fine , I washed it and now it acts like a dead short, with a meter I have conitnuity between the coil wire and ground, if I unhook the coil wire it will fire the plug,? Very lost! Lolhelp please
    HIGHDOLLAR6 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2012, 06:36 AM
    I have a murray11hp/38 cut tecumseh motor, was running fine , I washed it and now it has now fire to the spark plug, it acts like a dead short, with a meter I have conitnuity between the coil wire and ground, if I unhook the coil wire it will fire the plug,? Very lost! Lolhelp please

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Murray Riding Mower Spring Extension [ 8 Answers ]

I have purchased a spring - part number 165X76SEMA - for my Murray Riding Mower, model 40808X8D. The original spring broke, and I do not know where it connects to the chasis. The instructions that came with the part assumes that the original spring is still installed, and otherwise, makes no...

Murray Riding mower won't start [ 13 Answers ]

Driving along and it died, won't restart. Engine turns over, fire is getting to the spark plug, but won't kick in. Anybody know how to troubleshoot this problem. I hate to take it to the shop, feel like it is a simple problem. It has gas, the plug is new, and has oil. Susan:confused:

OLD Murray Riding Mower Issue [ 10 Answers ]

We bought a used Murray riding mower a few months ago for $150. It was a great price & has worked quite well with minimal issues until now. So far it had only need a belt, a new spark plug & some paint. Now, one of the deck belts shredded & got flung off the deck and THIS is where my problem...

Murray riding lawn mower electrical problem [ 7 Answers ]

My mower runs but only as long as the battery has a charge. And then it dies, so what could be the problem? Please help I have a huge lawn and a push mower just doesn't get it!!

17.5 Murray riding mower 3 blade deck belts [ 5 Answers ]

I have this riding mower and need to know the # for the blade engage belt. The one on there is too big..

View more questions Search