Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lilly 29 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2009, 06:46 AM
    Cooking lamb
    How do I cook lamb shanks without a oven.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 1, 2009, 06:56 AM

I absolutely lover lamb shanks. My favourtie part the lamb. But unless you have a barbecue or an outside cooker, you can't do it without an oven. Unless you want to braise them in a good heavy pot on the top of the stove and cook them in canned diced tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper. Throw in some oniion. Until the meat falls off the bone and the liquid reduces. Maybe throw in a bit of red (not to dry) wine, positively optional.

Okay, now I am certainly hungry !
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2009, 02:24 PM

Do you have a slow cooker or crockpot as they are also known?
    Well worth investing in one there far from exspensive and it's a great way of coming home from work and having a meal ready.

Lamb Shanks

2 large lamb shanks, cracked
    1 clove garlic, -- split
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon pepper
    1 medium onion, -- thinly sliced
    2 small carrots, baby -- cut in thin strips
    2 stalks celery, -- cut in 2" strips
    2 whole bay leaves, -- crumbled
    1 teaspoon oregano
    1 teaspoon thyme
    1/2 cup dry white wine
    1 8 oz can tomato sauce

Rub lamb with garlic and season with salt and pepper. Place vegetables in the bottom of a slow cooker. Add meat and all the other ingredients. Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on high for 4 to 6 hours.
    jtaylor519 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2009, 06:02 PM
    Place them in a crockpot with some canned diced tomato red wine rosemary bay leave garlic and let cook all day the meat will fall of the bone and be yummy

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dogs terrified, when lamb is being barbequed [ 25 Answers ]

My dog Max 11, a terrier mix runs around barking in a state of panic when he gets a whiff of lamb being barbequed. It's the same behaviour he exibits when thunder occurs. We got Max from the pound when he was about 8 months old, the pound figured he had been lost and on his own for at least 2...

Boxer pup sick on performatrin natural lamb and rice? [ 6 Answers ]

My 9mo boxer pup is on performatrin natural lamb & rice. But she is getting sick almost daily on this and is showing some signs of acne. Could she have some food allergy to some ingredient in this food. We only allow her a cup at a time with water and still she gets sick? The breeder we bought our...

Frozen lamb [ 1 Answers ]

How long can you keep meat frozen before cooking ?

Lamb with lump [ 1 Answers ]

We recently had a lamb born, at 5 days old we noticed a lump,lower left side in front of leg where it joins the body About the size of 1/4 of an orange and it feels soft and watery inside. Any thoughts of what it could be?

Crowned Rack of Lamb [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone have a great recipe for a Crowned Rack of Lamb? Want to cook this for hubby on Father's Day. Thanks

View more questions Search