Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    suddenImpact Posts: 175, Reputation: 23

Jan 31, 2009, 04:14 PM
    Battlefield 2
    I just bought a new computer, and I'm trying to install BF2 on it. I have 3 copys of the game, one copy I'm missing the first CD for, and the first CD for the second two apparently won't work anymore. It keeps saying Failed to install, please start over from the beginning. I tried to copy the CD's to my computer, and install it manually, but both copys of disk one fail on the file Data2.cab. My question is, is there anywhere I can go on the web to just re-download this particular file, since everything else will copy with no problem? Or as a second option possibly, both CD's stop working at different points when trying to copy that file. One CD, right when I start to copy the file it says "Cannot copy data2.cab: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error." The other disk 1 CD will copy everything but that last few seconds of that file. Is there a way to open them each, extract the files that work, then re compact it?

I have tried this on both CD Roms on the new computer, and both CD Roms in the old computer, so I know its not them.

Thanks for the help!
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2009, 03:42 PM

You may have 2 or 3 different versions of the game, hence why combining discs from all 3 copies is not working.

I would say just look for it used on a site like craigslist and buy a fresh copy
    suddenImpact Posts: 175, Reputation: 23

Feb 4, 2009, 11:46 AM

Sorry, but its nothing to do with combining the discs. I couldn't get disk one, from any set to work. I was able to find an ISO for the DVD version online, downloaded it, burnt it, and installed it using my CD key that I already had (so nothing illegal.. I hope at least) :) So, all is well now.

Thanks for the thought though!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search