Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    allisonrx Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2009, 01:54 PM
    Working out of state.filling state taxes?
    We live in PA. My husband worked in PA in June to August. From September to October he worked in NY. How do we file the state taxes?

Thanks,
    Allison
    walt17 Posts: 335, Reputation: 28

Jan 31, 2009, 04:25 PM
    Check the following link for New York state tax info.

New York State | Citizen Guide
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 2, 2009, 12:29 PM
    Assuming you and your husband file jointly on your FEDERAL tax return, you and your husband will file jointly for BOTH states, but will pay taxes ONLY on income earned inside the respective state.

For NY, the total income will determine at what tax rate you will pay, but the difference will not be too dramatic.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filing taxes in another state but have not worked in that state yet. [ 1 Answers ]

I just got married in Ocober. My husband gets a disability check in Tennessee and I have a w-2 in Missouri . But when we got married we moved to Arkansas. I did not work in Arkansas at all in 2008. So how would I go about doing our taxes?

Joint State taxes when I live in 1 state and wife lives in another [ 3 Answers ]

Presently I am living and working in NM. My wife and children are living in MA. My wife does not work. In order to get MA health Insurance I had to set my permanent address in MA for my company. I am now paying state taxes to both states. Should I be paying taxes in the state that I am not living...

GA State Taxes while working abroad [ 2 Answers ]

Do I have to Pay Georgia State income taxes if I work abroad and have military orders as a civilian (contractor)?

State Taxes withheld for wrong state on 1099-R [ 2 Answers ]

I was temporarily in another state, for 2 weeks, and closed a retirement account and received a 1099-R and they withheld the wrong state taxes. All of my employment is in MN and the taxes were withheld in VA. What do I do?

State taxes on out-of-state short-term contract [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Here's my situation. Facts: I am a consultant for company X (W-2 arrangement),which is based in New Jersey, where I was hired for a 6-month contract in New Jersey to perform work for one of their clients--company Z. I am a current resident of Arizona where I have a house and I plan...

View more questions Search