Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TheWordOfWisdom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2009, 01:35 PM
    Hurling ball carrier over line of scrimmage?
    I am a screenwriter and I wrote a part in the script that a player kneels down as the ball carrier approaches and then steps on his back and either uses him to get higher into the air or the player stands up and hurls him into the air at the same time, launching him too high for the defense to reach or stop. I have heard that this is an illegal move, which I don't doubt but I just wanted to confirm this. Does anyone have an answer to this or what they call this illegal procedure?
    bones252100 Posts: 253, Reputation: 29

Jan 31, 2009, 06:48 PM
    Actually, this was an allowed tactic in football in the first part of the last century. The ball carrier wore a thick leather belt with handles on either side. He would carry the ball to the line of scrimmage where 2 other players would grab him by the belt handles & hurl him over the line. Obviously, that procedure is now forbidden as "assisting the forward progress of the ball carrier." Another interesting fact about that time period: The ball carrier had to physically down the ball in the end zone. This meant he had to cover the ball with his body while lying prone on the ground. "Breaking the plane of the goal line" was unknown back then but so were facemasks.
    The other idea of bending or squatting to allow is forbidden for the same reason. A similar tactic we used may still be in practice. My blocking guard was called "Big John" for a reason. He was so much bigger than other players. On a straight forward dive play, "Big John" two fistfuls of the othe man's jersey, lift him off the ground and then dive on top of him. This gave me 2 yards of running room up his back where his shoulder pads would be used as a launching pad into the secondary. It was good for 5 yards on every play. "Big John" was so adept at this that the officials never caught it. Everybody thought he just knocked the guy on his butt.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connection to gas range gas line too large for gas line intake valve [ 2 Answers ]

Connection to gas range gas line too large for gas line intake valve. How can I step the range back line down a step. Is there some kind of converter I can buy?

I got base ball and foot ball trying to fine out how much [ 1 Answers ]

Oj simpson 1975 card Two pete rose cards Will mays baseball gold card 1964 Michael jordan rookie baseball card

How to rewire and extra line to the main phone line at the demarc [ 1 Answers ]

I cannot afford to pay ATT 99.00 to rewire a non-working phone jack to the demarc. How is this done? The main phone line is working.

Replaced Main Water Line, Now Shower Line Is Clogged [ 3 Answers ]

We had a leak, so we had the water line and sewage line from the house to the street replaced. Now we have no water in the shower. Some debris most have clogged up the line coming into the shower. All the other lines are fine. My Dad is somewhat of a handyman and wants to fix the problem...

View more questions Search