Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aweaim2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2009, 10:33 AM
    Potty training shihtzu
    He seems to know basics , he is stubborn, and he will go inside more often than not. I even take him out and he is outside and then comes in and goes on carpet? Not sure how to or what is the best method for my 14 week old pup.?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 31, 2009, 11:03 AM

Stick his nose in it and then put him outside again. That is not going to hurt him, but he has to learn that you are the boss. Did you originally start him on the pads in the house? If so, not a good way to train a dog to go outside. Every time he goes on the carpet, put him outside.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2009, 06:09 PM
    Never, ever stick its nose in it. Such abuse and advocating it is inexcusable.

Quite often it helps to walk the dog around while you are outside.

For more help, see my sticky at the top of the forum.
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 31, 2009, 06:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Stick his nose in it and then put him outside again. That is not going to hurt him, but he has to learn that you are the boss. Did you originally start him on the pads in the house? If so, not a good way to train a dog to go outside. Every time he goes on the carpet, put him outside.
    Sorry Tickle, I really do have to disagree here too! I agree with Labman. There is never an excuse to rub a dogs nose in it. It teaches them nothing, and you could possibly get the opposite result of what you wanted. You could even possibly encourage the dog to become aggressive towards you. Everyone is always looking for any easy fix. If you want an easy fix in the long run, then you teach the dog what to do, so he understands what behaviour is acceptable. This means disipline. The mother dog that is trying to teach her babies, would push them with her nose to the place where they are suppose to go pee. A human mother would take the hand of her child and lead him to where he is suppose to go. It's no different. It's just consistancy and repetition. You wouldn't rub a baby's nose in their pee because they don't know any better, and it's no different for a puppy who doesn't know.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 31, 2009, 06:27 PM

I said 'stick' his nose in it not RUB his nose in it. God I would never RUB a dog's nose in anything.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 31, 2009, 06:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    I said 'stick' his nose in it not RUB his nose in it. God I would never RUB a dog's nose in anything.
    Still hon, sticking his nose in it is fruitless really. It won't teach him anything.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 31, 2009, 06:51 PM

While not a dog expert, I seldom answer on the dog board and seem to always make someone mad when I do, but in ickle defense, what was said is a common practice I have been told a dozen times over the years.

While it may not be a currently accepted method it is a common practice
    Mrs Agony Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Jan 31, 2009, 08:04 PM
    One thing is it is still a puppy and it is learning.. it is going to take a little bit longer before they really get the idea of were they can go... start with when the puppy first wakes up.. get it outside right away.. we all go pee when we first wake up in the morning so there is your starting point.. then get the puppy back out in about 2 hrs...
    You are going to have to teach the puppy and be on the puppy all the time till they get the idea.. I have a Min pin, Jack Russel, Rat Terrier mix and he has been potty trained since he was a puppy and I had been told by a lot of people that they are hard to potty train.. NOT SO... I even had him outside in the morning before I went pee and put on coffee and all that I used to do before I got him.. he can hold it for an easy 8 hrs now he is 2 1/2 yrs old now and don't pee on the floor at all..

When they get used to the idea of having to go outside to potty you can stretch out the time you let them out so they learn to hold it..
    A 14 week old puppy is still like a baby in diapers.. still a little to young to learn about potty training but almost at that age..

Good luck

Marion
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 31, 2009, 08:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    while not a dog expert, I seldom answer on the dog board and seem to always make someone mad when I do, but in ickle defense, what was said is a common practice I have been told a dozen times over the years.

While it may not be a currently accepted method it is a common practice
    We are trying to dispel that myth. I very seldom, if ever disagree with Tickle. In fact I look highly upon her advice. However, this should NOT be an accepted method, or a common practice. We can't teach people without giving them the correct information.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 31, 2009, 10:50 PM

Tickle and Chuck, yes, the practice of rubbing a dogs nose in his accident has been acceptable for many years, because people didn't know what else to do. We've looked at these methods and realized that they aren't a good way to train your dog.

Does it work? Yes. Your dog probably will learn not to pee or poo in the house, but he'll learn from fear, not because he respects you as a pack leader.

Take for example a human child. When a baby is born it wears diapers, because it cannot use the bathroom. At a certain age the parents decide to potty train their child. Now, most parents go about this by showing the child the potty, sitting it down on the potty and then praising the child when it goes on the potty. No parent would ever take of a babies diaper and rub it's nose in it to teach it to use the potty. Will the baby have accidents? Yes, because it has to learn, but repetition, praise and patience is all it takes. It's the same with a dog.

Repetition, patience and praise, that's really all it takes. If you do catch your dog in the act make a loud noise (clap your hands, say no sharply) take him outside immediately, choose a command word which you will repeat like "potty" and then when the dog does go outside, lots and lots of praise. Every time you take your dog out for a potty use the above method. It may take a while, but I've never had a dog that didn't learn to potty outside using this method.

Good luck.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2009, 08:19 AM
    I find it disgusting that there is any mention of abusive, punishing methods in this milenium. Some myths never die. If you go to http://www.akc.org/pdfs/starpuppy/le...g_outdoors.pdf, you will find:

What Not To Do
    Never punish your puppy for a housetraining accident. Rubbing a puppy's nose in urine or feces is
    Abusive and will not help the training process. If you are having housetraining problems, your S.T.A.R.
    Puppy instructor can give you some advice. Your veterinarian can assist you with selecting the proper
    Food and feeding schedule for your puppy.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2009, 08:44 AM

Quote Originally Posted by labman View Post
    I find it disgusting that there is any mention of abusive, punishing methods in this milenium. Some myths never die. If you go to http://www.akc.org/pdfs/starpuppy/le...g_outdoors.pdf, you will find:

What Not To Do
    Never punish your puppy for a housetraining accident. Rubbing a puppy’s nose in urine or feces is
    abusive and will not help the training process. If you are having housetraining problems, your S.T.A.R.
    Puppy instructor can give you some advice. Your veterinarian can assist you with selecting the proper
    food and feeding schedule for your puppy.
    I'm going to have to absolutely agree with this. The fact that people used to suggest that putting or rubbing a dog's nose to his waste does not warrant its propagation now. People used to believe in spanking or "whupping" their kids. That doesn't mean it's a practice that should be continued. The research has been done. In fact, it's been out there for a long enough time that any mildly informed pet owner has heard that this is not an acceptable house training method. I know for a fact that this suggestion has been addressed time and again on these boards, so I do not know why it is still being advised here. AMHD is a community, which is an asset to this site, but I think we have to beware of letting community politics or alliances get in the way of supporting what's right and what isn't. The best thing we can do on these boards is to support each other in gaining and spreading the best information we have in raising, rearing, loving and training our beloved pets and animals.

Dog training has taken a big turn in a new direction over the years. Professionals in this field have turned away from the previously used military-based models in favor of positive training methods. The fact is that the new methods are not just more humane, but they're also more effective when it comes to molding our pets into better behaved, more stable and more balanced additions to the family unit.

Turning back to the question at hand, my advice is almost always to invest in at least a couple of puppy training books. Not only will they save you time, money, energy and unnecessary frustration in the long run by detailing everything you need to know to teach your puppy how to live in your world, but they will also present ideas, suggestions and solutions to facets of dog care that may not have even thought of. When I got my last puppy, an English cocker spaniel who is now 9 months old, I got a whole stack of literature regarding puppy training and care. I read them through before he even came home with us, and I have continued to turn back to the best of them at each new stage in his development. The reason I suggest going this route is that I have been hands down amazed at how much easier this process has been every single step of the way because of what they taught me. In fact, now that I have read them, I really can't imagine trying to raise a puppy or a dog without them. There is no reason for anyone to have to reinvent the wheel and learn by trial and error the whole way through. If you start with consistency, you'll get the job done faster, better and more peacefully, which means that you'll have more time to really enjoy your puppy the way you should.

My personal favorites are The Puppy Whisperer and How to Raise a Puppy You Can Live With. They cover all of the basic elements of puppy rearing through the whole first year, including smart ways of house training your pup. I also recommend How to Housebreak Your Dog in 7 Days, which is short, sweet, logical and to the point. If you can't find them at your local bookstore or at your local library, you can easily find them online. There are a lot of other great training books out there too, so it might be a really good idea to visit your bookstore and take a look at what's out there so that you can find the ones you like best. Even if you're planning to take your pooch to obedience classes, there is still a lot more ground to cover than they'll be able to teach in the limited time they have with you. Be proactive!

In the simplest terms, you teach a puppy (or a dog) not to potty in the house by celebrating, praising and treating it every time it does the right thing outside. If it goes in the house, the only way you can "correct" it is if you catch it in action. In that case, you can say "no" or distract it (like with a slightly startling noise), pick it right up, and bring it outside to where it's supposed to go. Make sure you're cleaning up any accidents in the house with a proper odor neutrilizer (like nature's miracle), and make very sure that none of those products contain any ammonia. Also, you aid the situation by not giving your pup a chance to make mistakes. This means keeping it in an area that is a size it can handle at this point, like a kitchen with easy to clean floors. Also note that, in general, puppies don't begin to be physiologically capable of "holding it" properly until after they are 4 months old. Chances are, there will be accidents. Just learn what went wrong and why, and adjust the situation to increase its chances of success. Keeping it on a schedule and knowing when to take it out will also play a large part in this process. Be patient, keep your cool, and get informed! You and your puppy will be better off in the long run for it.

I wish you lots of luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Potty Training my 5 month old Shihtzu [ 1 Answers ]

We have had our Shihtuzu almost 3 months. He will be 5 months old next week and still having accidents. We have been using a crate effectively at night and most of the time during the day. Unfortunately, even though we take him out every 1-2 hours when out of the crate he's still having...

Potty training [ 6 Answers ]

My daughter is 3 and I can't seem to get her to go to the restroom she understands what you do in the restroom and all of that but we can't get her to tell us so that she can sit in her potty chair what can I do to get her ready so that she can go to school :confused: :confused: :confused:

Potty training my lab [ 1 Answers ]

I can't get my lab to stop peeing in the house. Sometimes she will go outside and other times she will pee in the house when my back is turned but I catch her in the act what do I do?

Potty training my son [ 15 Answers ]

HELP! I have a son who will be three years old in 3 months. He has expressed zero interest in potty training. I have tried everything I can think of. I have tried putting him in underwear all day so he can feel the wetness, tried the little potty, the big potty, tried putting cereal in the...

View more questions Search