Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2009, 02:41 PM

If you are in the usa have a look at pandora.com or if you are in the uk check out last.fm. Both of them ask for bands you like then find similar bands you might like. I think last.fm is better than pandora (I used that on before they cracked down on IP addresses).

If you like punk try:
    The Clash, Rancid, The Falcon, Alkaline Trio, Gaslight Anthem, Laurence Arms, None More Black, Lagrecia, Operation Ivy, Bad Religion, early My Chemical Romance (none of this Black parade nonsense!), the Distillers, Tsunami Bomb, Hot Water Music, the Bronx, Hell is for heroes, JimmyEatWorld, the Transplants

If you like more metal-y try
    Coheed and Cambria, Breed 77, Life of Agony, Avenge Sevenfold (a bit patchy but still some good songs), Coal Chamber, System of A Down, Smashing Pumpkins (definately give these guys a listen), Therapy?

Ok that's all I can think of at the moment unless you want some brit pop era indie as well?
    gnahcd Posts: 215, Reputation: 39

Feb 19, 2009, 03:08 PM
    I'm a primarily a classic rock and grunge fan, but definitely appreciate new music and other genres. To discover new music I recommend subscribing to XM radio - an excellent way to hear new music. I also subscribe to Rolling Stone and explore some of their best reviewed CDs that I think might like.

One recent winner is My Morning Jacket's, Evil Urges. The music is fresh (to me), with varied styles that has been growing on me the more I listen to it.

You have likely already tried The Raconteurs, The White Stripes, The Killers, Coldplay, and Radiohead.

A classic rocker that I recommend is The Who's Live at The Royal Albert Hall (CD or DVD). This CD has a version of Magic Bus that rocks!

Another classic rock CD that puts a new spin on old music is the Page and Plant CD, No Quarter. I like the Middle Eastern drums, and back up singing.

On the jazz end... Have you heard of Al DiMeola? You might like him, if you like Spanish tinged fast jazz guitar music. His earlier CDs rock more. He is most accessible when he has worked with Paco De Lucia and John McLaughlin. Friday Night in San Francisco is the most accessible to a rock fan. The Guitar Trio album is a great CD, too. My favorite is when he worked with Stanley Clarke and John McLaughlin on the album The Rite of Strings

Speaking of JM... John McLaughlin is another of one my favorite artists, but a rocker might not like all his music. However, if you're looking to experiment, sample his efforts with his band Shakti. He plays Indian styled music, using Indian musicians (Bombay not American Indians). Fast, amazing, and very melodic (to my ears). My favorite is Natural Elements.

... and you probably already know about Soundgarden, Audioslave, Stone Temple Pilots, Chris Cornell.
    ... on the female side there is Liz Phair, Sara McLachlan, Lisa Loeb, Sara Bareilles, Tori Amos, Aimee Mann, Susan Tedeschi (blues), Fiona Apple
    ... I heard Keane the other day. I am going to see if I like their music.
    ... on the blues side there is Buddy Guy, Freddie King to explore.
    gnahcd Posts: 215, Reputation: 39

Feb 19, 2009, 03:42 PM
    Here are more artists I recommend you try. Some are old, some are new... Tool, A Perfect Circle, Rodrigo and Gabriela, Genesis (the original lineup), Peter Gabriel, Todd Rundgren, King's X, The Black Keys, Paramore, Evanescence, Kings of Leon, Tokio Hotel, 3 Days Grace, Finger Eleven, Ben Harper, Norah Jones, Michele Branch, Avril Lavigne, Lily Allen (her 1st CD, Smile), Tegan and Sarah, 4 Non Blondes, Collective Soul, David Byrne, Death Cab for Cutie, Vampire Weekend, Rilo Kiley, Neko Case, Beck.
    Neelie Posts: 512, Reputation: 39

Feb 20, 2009, 12:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gnahcd View Post
    Here are more artists I recommend you try. Some are old, some are new... Tool, A Perfect Circle, Rodrigo and Gabriela, Genesis (the original lineup), Peter Gabriel, Todd Rundgren, King's X, The Black Keys, Paramore, Evanescence, Kings of Leon, Tokio Hotel, 3 Days Grace, Finger Eleven, Ben Harper, Norah Jones, Michele Branch, Avril Lavigne, Lily Allen (her 1st CD, Smile), Tegan and Sarah, 4 Non Blondes, Collective Soul, David Byrne, Death Cab for Cutie, Vampire Weekend, Rilo Kiley, Neko Case, Beck.

I was really interested to read about the music you like, I am British but in the 80's I was into American Rock, nothing too heavy, the likes of Journey, Foreigner, Stan Bush's first album was good, not so fussed now. I also love Stevie Nicks especially the stuff she did in the 80's. Keane's first album is very good, and The Killers album Day and Age is brilliant. You might like The Script, a newish band I think from Scotland.
    Any case, I'm glad you replied to Beth911 because I'm always on the lookout for new stuff so I'm going to have a look at the music you've mentioned :)
    FolkFury Posts: 40, Reputation: 6

Feb 20, 2009, 09:31 AM

The Duhks, The Greencards. The Waifs. The Iveys, The Pogues, Cross Canadian Ragweed, Scott Miller & the Commonwealth, Boiled in Lead, The Mercy Brothers, Peter Case, Gurf Morlix. Just to name a few.
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Feb 20, 2009, 11:01 AM

I'd recommend you sign up on last.fm

It can track what music you listen to, and make suggestion for other artists and songs you might like, based on what you listen to now. It's generally pretty accurate for me.

That said, I'm a fan of a lot of less popular bands... nobody seems to like ska and indie rock as much as I do :)

Beulah
    Of Montreal
    Cake
    Ludo
    Fountains of Wayne
    Lazlo Bane
    Voltaire
    Shelesh Posts: 55, Reputation: 4

Feb 20, 2009, 11:06 AM

U said you don't really like country... Me, I listen to everything that sounds good.
    Well, try 'Westlife' and give a feedback..

'10 years of Westlife live at Croke Park Stadium' is fantastic...
    notluckygirl Posts: 6, Reputation: 0

Feb 21, 2009, 04:10 PM

Evry time we touch david guetta
    Hot stuff elize
    Number one kardinal offishall
    Piece of me britney spears
    Love is wecked brick and lace
    The world is mine david guetta

And if you now frensh just say yes and I 'll write million's of fresh songs
    The best one's OK
    I hope you like these
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2009, 12:01 AM
    Hi again, beth911!

Here's a link to a video of some piano music from a movie that you might like. The music is by Yiruma.

YouTube - Edward and Bella - River flows in you (twilight)

Thanks!
    PunkChic Posts: 986, Reputation: 51

Mar 12, 2009, 05:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkwithaK View Post
    Franz Ferdinand
    I saw these guys live the other day. They were AMAZING! I met the lead singer, he was so down to earth. :)
    1028 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2009, 10:54 PM
    Great Songs!
    Amanda Shaw : "French Jig"
    Simple Minds : "Belfast Child"
    Duffy : "Rockferry"
    The Left Banke : " Walk Away Renee"
    Booby Moore & The Rythmn Aces : "Searching For My Baby"
    Hothouse Flowers : "Movies"
    The Sundays : "God Made Me"
    Jon Randall : "Somebody Else"
    Mark Knopfler : "What It Is"
    Brooke Benton : "Rainy Night In Georgia"
    Sam Cooke : " Change Is Gonna Come"
    Dionne warwick : "Don't make Me Over"
    Midnight Oil : " The Dead Heart"
    Marmicminipark Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2009, 01:12 AM

Beth ~ I myself am really into bands like 'Dream Theater', 'Triumvirat', 'Emerson, Lake & Palmer'... and Heavy Metal, bands like 'Zao', 'Sympathy', 'Believer',. enjoy !
    h_leann_b Posts: 247, Reputation: 35

Mar 17, 2009, 08:31 AM

Cake
    Flyleaf
    Alkaline Trio
    dumby Posts: 25, Reputation: 0

Mar 18, 2009, 09:16 AM

Yo man do slipknot all the way. There are also bands like Motley Crue, Ozzy Osbourne, Mettalica, All that remains, Sixx am, Papa Roech, Buckcherry, Traped, Godsmack, Led Zepplin, Lita Ford, the Runaways, Sabboth, Dio, My Chemical Romance, Bullet for my Valintine, Poison, Pantara, The Rolling Stones. Man if I felt like it I could gice you a whole lecture on rock bans. ACDC, Kid Rock, KISS, Aerosmith, Alice and Chains, Guns n Roses, Alice Cooper, Bon Jovi, Deep purple, Iron Maidon, 3 Doors Down, Shinedown, 3 Days grace, Pink Fliod. Dude this isn't even scratching the surface of HARD ROCK!! Want to know something funy? I know all this about rock AND IM ONLY 14!! Let me know when you get bored of this music, and I will hook you up with some more
    braindamage Posts: 79, Reputation: 4

Apr 5, 2009, 09:19 PM

Classic rock! Never gets old or boring
    It goes from the 60s to 90s
    And it amazazing
    For instant
    I LOVE
    The Doors
    Led Zeppelin
    Nirvana
    Cheap Trick
    Pink Floyd
    The Who
    U2
    The Yardbirds
    The Rolling Stones
    The Clash
    Sugar Ray
    Rush
    Radiohead
    Pearl Jam
    Elvis Presley

And I can go on
    And do yourself a favor and Don't listen to modern day Disney Channel(so called) "music"
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2009, 09:24 PM

Hi, beth911!

Are you going to return to here?

Thanks!
    guitarlicks Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2009, 02:27 AM

Well I'm just going to put a few of my faves on here

Trivium- Excellent band
    Slayer
    Megadeth
    Crossfade- I like the songs "cold" and "colors"
    Tenacious D

That's just a few that I can think of right now
    lightbulbs1 Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2009, 09:25 PM
    Frank Mills is a wonderful piano player he doesn't have very rocky songs but I love his music.
    Charko Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2009, 08:45 PM

Pink Floyd, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, Strawberry Alarm Clock, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC. The Sex Pistols, The Ramones, The Clash, Foo Fighters, Jane's Addiction, Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Motley Crue, Iron Maiden, The White Stripes, Wolfmother
    There you have psychedellic rock, classic rock, punk, alternative rock, grunge, metal and hard rock
    Fydor Bloom Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

May 2, 2009, 09:40 PM

If want to hear some music that isn't the Doors or Led Zeppelin, I know some that probably haven't been mentioned.
    Rock:
    Boris
    The Cro-Mags
    Pig Destroyer
    Mars Volta (progressive)
    At The Drive-In --- listen to One Armed Scissor

Ambiance:
    Godspeed You Black Emperor
    Silver Mt. Zion
    Set Fire to Flames

Rap:
    Deltron 3030
    Del the Funky Homosapien
    Dead Prez (politically minded vegan rap) --- listen to the song"Hell
    Yeah"

Try it out

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need artists name [ 4 Answers ]

There is a cd called Various Artists, Stepping Down Memory Lane, and trak 5 is "This Love". Need artist(s) for "This Love" and did they make other music, albums, where to find and purchase?

Great artists [ 2 Answers ]

Hi my question is that why don't public schools talk about the people who followed in the great artists footsteps?:confused:

Favorite Artists [ 8 Answers ]

Who's your favorite artist?:)

Artists Name [ 4 Answers ]

Can someone tell me who recorded the track called CENTREFOLD. Many thank TicTac:)

View more questions Search