Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    superkid778 Posts: 47, Reputation: 2

Aug 7, 2006, 10:13 AM
    16.5 I/c Briggs Twin engine problem
    After rebuilding the deck over the last two months, now my Yard Machine 600 series tractor will not run properly. The engine will rev and die repeatedly when you try to cut with it. The carb was rebuilt last year and it has new fuel lines and filter. Is this an adjustment problem or is the carb gummed up a little bit since it sat for a few months? This only happens a wide open throttle, but once it does it, it won't stop until you pull the throttle all the way back down. Any help is appreciated. Below is a pic of an exact model as mine.
    Attached Images

thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2006, 07:02 PM
    Was a fuel stabilizer used? Then yes it could have some gummy gas in it, gas starts to go bad after a month. Sounds as though the main jet is clogged a little...

Aug 7, 2006, 07:29 PM
    I poured some SeaFoam in it and let it run a few minutes to stabilize and protect the gas and carb... Can I clean the main jet easily? Or does it need disassembling? I have never worked on a carb before... thanks again!
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2006, 01:58 AM
    Just take the carb off and clean every little hole with a few shots of carb cleaner... one shot, let it set a second or two, then another... and another... etc. If you ran seafoam, then it can still be either trash or water maybe.
    tonybug Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2006, 05:45 PM
    Maybe a carb gasket sucking air

Aug 11, 2006, 08:36 AM
    Well, the curious side of me got me into a little trouble. I was looking at the carb after cleaning it and starting slowly taking things apart. I got to the side where the gas line goes in and took that apart. It has a couple of springs and a thin membrane with a larger spring pressing against it. It looks pretty simple. I cleaned it real good and re-assembled it. Now the mower will not even crank. The carb is not getting gas. How cheap are the rebuild kits?. and can you tell me what kind of carb I have (B&S 16.5 Twin I/C) I'll let a real mechanic fix it this time. Thanks for the help again.

Aug 11, 2006, 08:43 AM
    The gasket I am talking about in the top right of the picture...
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2006, 12:48 PM
    The rebuild kits are cheap, and easy if you remember how you took it apart... lol
    One true way to check for leaks is spray carb cleaner, brake cleaner. Etc around the seals, any change will tell you.

It certainly is a carb problem, either some gummy gas/trash or it just needs a new diapragm... the top right is not a gasket, diapragm.

Aug 11, 2006, 01:47 PM
    Told you I had never worked on a carb before... I've been watching "How It Works" on Discovery too much... when I first put the diaphram back together, it leaked like crazy... then I re-did it and it stopped leaking... I figured I was looking at a rebuild anyway, so I couldn't really harm it anymore than it already was... do you know what kind of kit I need to get? What kind of carb is on the mower? Thanks again!

Aug 11, 2006, 06:56 PM
    This is a pic of my engine...
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2006, 07:14 PM
    Diapragm carb, feeds both cylinders... forget the brand though... (actually have about the same engine coming to me to replace one of my engines in a couple days) 18hp apposed. Btw, if you have your model, type, and code... and go to a small engine shop... that's all they need to get the right kit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I can't pull the starter cord on my 10hp Briggs and Stratton Engine [ 6 Answers ]

I recently purchased a two year old 10 hp Troy Built wood chipper. I've used it for about 4-5 hours and recently had to add a little oil. I added the correct type as per the manufacturers instructions. It started up just fine and after 15 minutes or so I shut it off to empty the bag. Once the...

Briggs 18 twin [ 1 Answers ]

I have a MG Ward 18/42 Briggs twin, Having oil seeping from what appears to be the left cylinder base. Is the Jug removable or cast into the main block. Cylinder head looks easy enough to remove but the problem appears low end. Thanks rirog

Murray 12.5 Commercial Mower - Briggs Engine - Won't Start/Turn [ 3 Answers ]

So I'm mowing my back yard with my Murray lawn tractor. I brought it back to the garage and parked it, went inside to cool off, and when I went back out to put it back into the garage, it wouldn't start. I turned the key, and got nothing. The lights work, the battery is charged to 100%,...

Briggs Twin Running Rough [ 1 Answers ]

I have a B&S twin that is running very rough. I've replaced both plugs, removed both heads and cleaned 20 years of carbon out. Late last season, I rebuilt the carb and it ran great. I compression tested both cylinders and got 90 PSI from both. After the compression test, I forgot to hook up...

18 horse Briggs twin 2 [ 3 Answers ]

I have an older model riding mower w/an 18 horse briggs twin II and I Rebuilt the carb and it ran fine for a little while but now it seems like It is starving for gas! It has spark! Can anyone help me Thanks Bill:

View more questions Search