Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TheShadow95 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2009, 04:51 PM
    Can I connect new outside unit to older inside unit for a heat pump?
    I have a heatpump system. The outside unit is very old and is different manufacturer than the newer (9yr old) inside unit. Outside unit has gone bad. Can I connect a new TRANE Outside unit with SEER of 13 to my 9 year old TRANE inside unit with SEER of 10 which still seems to be working fine:confused:
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 30, 2009, 05:21 PM
    No especially with heat pumps. The newer units have larger coil surfaces especially the new inside coils. The manufactures do not recommend that the old coils be used with new outside units and as I said before especially with heat pumps.

You will also loose efficiency by using the old inside coils/unit. You are paying for a 13 SEER so you might as well get your moneys worth. Many contractors tell there customers they can just replace the outside unit and on a strait A/C unit you can if you add a expension valve and know what you are doing but not with a heat pump since it depends upon the newer/larger coil to disapate the heat generated by the new outside unit.

If you do just change the outside unit on a strait A/C system you will also loose efficiency.

On heat pumps they are rated as below.

The HSPF (Heating Seasonal Performance Factor) rating is used to identify the heating efficiency of heat pumps: the higher the rating, the less electricity the heat pump uses to heat a given area. 7.7 HSPF Is the minimum standard today
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2009, 06:04 PM
    There was a time when you could "get away" with doing this; those days are over. The rated efficiency of the new unit won't be achieved, the service life will be shortened, and the warranty potentially voided.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rheem-heat-pump-outside-unit-humming but blower unit working [ 3 Answers ]

I have a heat pump and ac unit outside. The inside blower fan still working but the outside unit humming. Are there any quick fixes here

Changing ac unit to heat pump [ 1 Answers ]

I have an older home on the Virginia Eastern shore. The house is heated with oil fired boiler and cast iron radiators. It has 2 zones - 1 for main home 1st and 2nd flrs, and 1 for family room and kitchen addition. The furnace is older with a newer burner assembly. The house also has 2 AC...

Reset breaker inside and out unit will not run ac or heat [ 3 Answers ]

My 3 year old carrier model 50HS 024 311 heat pump will not come on at all, no fans inside or out, nothing. The digital themostat seems fine. I have reset the breaker at the fuse box and the one out by the unit but no help. The unit was working fine yesterday cooling the house. Then we had a...

Can I disable outside unit with a heat pump? [ 4 Answers ]

I believe I have a Payne heat pump, and it only blows slightly warm air and when the unit comes on, it turns on the outside unit. I always thought the outside unit went with the air conditioner, but I'm learning that isn't always the case. I just installed a new thermostat, and didn't connect...

Outside unit doesn't come on when thermostat turns inside unit on so no heat? [ 1 Answers ]

My thermostat will trip my heater to turn on. The inside blower turns on but the outside unit doesn't turn on. I can get it to go by turnign off the unit at the thermostat and waiting a minute. I turn it on and off until I hear the outside unit turn on. The problem is when the Thermostat turns if...

View more questions Search