Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mich99 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2009, 03:16 PM
    How to find which font a software is using?
    Hi,

I have Random House Webster's Unabridged Dictionary on a Vista computer and it's working fine.

On a second Vista computer some fonts do not show correctly. See the two screen shots. The first one shows where fonts are displayed correctly (inside the ellipse). The second snapshot shows the problem.

How do I find out what font it's using so I can install those fonts on the second computer? Is there another way to fix this problem.

Thanks for your help!
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2009, 05:28 PM

Could not pinpoint one, but if you Google - how to identify fonts

Several links will come up, should be able to find some good tools
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jan 30, 2009, 05:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mich99 View Post
    How do I find out what font it's using so I can install those fonts on the second computer?
    One method would be not to worry about the specific font and simply copy over all the fonts on the first computer to the second one and install them. Otherwise, the installed font lists of each computer could be compared, the missing ones noted, and then sample text formatted in each missing font to determine the specific one.

There might also be a way to identify the handle to the font that the Dictionary is using via a font utility program, but I don't know of such a utility.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2009, 07:08 PM

Here is a progrm that may prove useful if your pc's are on same network - vicevera

Can use for 30 days free -
    ViceVersa Software: File Synchronization, File Replication, Windows Backup Software

You can run the app and it will compare 2 folders for it's contents
    mich99 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2009, 11:35 PM
    Thanks for your suggestions.

I copied fonts from computer 1 to computer 2, even rebooted the computer, but it didn't help.

Two more pieces of information, in case they add anything.
    1. Computer 1 is Vista 32 bit, computer 2 is 64 bit.
    2. The characters that appear incorrectly displayed are those with accent marks on them.

Any other suggestions?
    bill_allison Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2013, 06:10 PM
    The software for the Random House Webster's Unabridged Dictionary does not install the two fonts correctly. The pronunciation fonts are random.ttf and random2.ttf. You need go to the CD or source file and double click on each font. When the Font is displayed, click on the Install button near the top of the screen. This should fix the problem.

These next steps are optional, but can be done as an easy introduction to the system registry.

If you want to thoroughly clean up the install error. Run REGEDIT and do FIND "random.ttf". You will discover entries for random.ttf (random2.ttf will display as the next entry) showing a path to "C:\Windows\System32". Right click on each wrong entry and Delete it. When you installed the fonts manually, a correct entry was created and the fonts were copied to the "Windows\Fonts" directory.

Because of the original installation error, there will also be an incorrect entry of random.ttf and random2.ttf in the system DLLs portion of the registry. You can right click and delete these entries as the TTF is a font file and not a DLL program file.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does anyone know what font this is? [ 4 Answers ]

http://i73.servimg.com/u/f73/13/13/62/34/rebel_10.jpg

View more questions Search