Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jack dandy Posts: 226, Reputation: 9

Jan 30, 2009, 03:16 PM
    Better milage at high speeds
    I have a question about gas mileage, how come going on the highway at 70 mph I can get up to 30 mpg, but at 60 mph I only get 20 mpg? Just wondering? Taking it a step further if cars can get better gas mileage at higher speeds why don't they raise the speed limits on highways so we can use less energy(being gas)? Just wondering?
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2009, 03:28 PM

I've wondered about that too; they always say going faster reduces your gas mileage, but mine always goes up when I go faster.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jan 30, 2009, 05:39 PM

Not all vehicles achieve higher mileage at higher speeds.
    And not all vehicles get the same mileage at the same speed, either.
    What we are driving, the posted speed limit, is an assumption that all drivers are also paying attention, thus avoiding stop-and-go driving.
    A smoother flow of traffic with shorter stops will go a long way to seeing higher MPG's.
    ShadyLady Posts: 98, Reputation: 10

Feb 1, 2009, 01:27 AM

The MAIN reason they don't raise the spped limit is because of safety. Hit you at 55 you might have a better chance to survive. without causing a chain reaction accident on top of it. At least, that's part of the theory, if they could get people to obey the speed limit and not tailgate!
    Also when you are driving freeway it is at a consistent speed with very little of the stop-and-go that takes up a lot of gas.
    I have read that the actual best mileage is between the speeds of 45 to 55 MPH.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gas milage [ 3 Answers ]

I hae a 2005 Ford Focus. I hae always gotten 28-32 mpg. Recently I hae only been getting average of 24 mpg. What can be the cause? Oil changes are done every 3000 miles with no changing in driving. Help!

Laptop speeds versus desktop speeds [ 2 Answers ]

My question is somewhat analogous to comparing apples and oranges in that they are both fruits but work differently. i.e. laptops and desktops are both comps but work differently. Regardless, my question is , (if its possible to ocmpare) if I have a desktop that is a pentium 4 3ghz and a laptop...

Gas milage [ 3 Answers ]

On average which of these two vehicles get the best gas milage if you were renting it for a vacation, a minivan or and SUV?

Gas Milage [ 2 Answers ]

If anyone out there owns a 2006 Hyundai, Tucson 2.7, 6 cyl, AT, front wheel drive, let me know how your gas milage is. I have 10,500 miles on mine and get about 19.5 city, and 20.5 hwy. Hyundai is giving me a line that it isn't broke in till 15,000 miles, then milage should improve. After the...

'95 Honda del Sol engine dies at high speeds [ 2 Answers ]

Hi everyone. My girlfriend's '95 del Sol dies at highway speeds. The engine just stops, rpm drops to zero. The car starts up fine afterwards, but after a few minutes of driving, it dies again. We had to get it towed home (140 dollars!! AHH! ). Now she's too scared to drive it anywhere too...

View more questions Search