Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    made2last Posts: 30, Reputation: 2

Jan 30, 2009, 02:30 PM
    1998 Dodge Stratus Leak
    My 1998 Dodge Stratus has started leaking something underneath the very front behind
    The bumper. I can see 2 holes (one on either side) and don't know what they are for.
    It's not a steady drip but enough to cause concern.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2009, 03:22 PM

What color is the fluid that's leaking? Are you having any other problems with the vehicle?
    jack dandy Posts: 226, Reputation: 9

Jan 30, 2009, 03:28 PM

Some cars have little shocks behind there bumpers to absorb the impact of a light accident and if your hit harder then what there designed for they can rupture, I suppose their might also be other ways they could start leaking. Just an idea?
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2009, 03:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jack dandy View Post
    some cars have little shocks behind there bumpers to absorb the impact of a light accident and if your hit harder then what there designed for they can rupture, i suppose their might also be other ways they could start leaking. Just an idea?
    As far as I'm aware, bumper shock absorbers aren't hydraulic filled. But I could be wrong, I have seen stranger things on vehicles.
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2009, 04:07 PM

Quote Originally Posted by jack dandy
    jack dandy agrees: what does the hydraulic fluid have to do with my answer, i'm not trying to get technical but i don't think he mentioned anything about hydraulic fluid?
    He said he has a fluid leak; you mentioned the shock absorbers rupturing. In order for the bumpers to leak, they need to have fluid in them and as far as I know, they're not filled with fluid aka "hydraulic filled."
    jack dandy Posts: 226, Reputation: 9

Jan 30, 2009, 04:21 PM

Sorry again. I'm not trying to be a hard nose just trying to help.
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2009, 05:59 PM

No reason to be sorry :) Just wanted to make sure we were all on the same page
    made2last Posts: 30, Reputation: 2

Jan 30, 2009, 06:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jack dandy View Post
    some cars have little shocks behind there bumpers to absorb the impact of a light accident and if your hit harder then what there designed for they can rupture, i suppose their might also be other ways they could start leaking. Just an idea?
    I recently filled the window washer and this happened after that but I can't believe that
    Is what it is because I've done that many times before. Behind the bumper under the
    Car is just a flat piece of metal. About 12 inches from either end in the middle of whatever
    It is are holes about 2" in diameter. Since there is a snowstorm where I am I haven't
    Taken a mirror and flashlight to see what those holes are but I will. The dripping is
    Dark with no color. The car has had maintenance anytime anything goes wrong and I
    Want to keep it running forever. 120,000 miles on it and I drive less than 1,000 miles
    A year at this time.
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2009, 07:04 PM

Might just be runoff. Check all your fluid levels to be safe and keep an eye on them; if they're all staying full, I wouldn't be too worried.
    paulkramer Posts: 181, Reputation: 2

Jan 30, 2009, 07:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by this8384 View Post
    Might just be runoff. Check all your fluid levels to be safe and keep an eye on them; if they're all staying full, I wouldn't be too worried.
    ^^ yes, that - if it stops, and if your fluid levels don't drop, maybe it was just runoff.

What is "dark with no color"? Grey, black.. You live in the snow belt? Maybe the washer fluid mixed with road salt?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1998 Dodge Neon [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I have a 1998 Dodge Neon, I really hate it :( But, for about a month, whenever I turn it on, it turns over and over many times, and it takes a while and then it finally starts. I'm really scared one day it just won't turn on! Also, I was driving the other day and something popped in the...

Dodge ram 1500 (1998) [ 2 Answers ]

The a/c in my truck blows out cold air for about 20mins then it just blows. Any idea?

2000 dodge stratus [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2000 dodge stratus w/145,000 miles. I started to proceed after being stopped at a traffic light I noticed it would not shift gears it was in limp mode, shortly after, the engine light came on. It has an electronic transmission module can anyone tell me from experience would the module be...

View more questions Search