Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    traceyandmorgan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2009, 02:20 PM
    How do I get my dog to eat ?
    Hi I have just resently got a german shephard cross who is eating fine,, but my other dog which I've had for nearly two years (yorkie) has stopped eating,, at the moment both dogs are not getting along my yorkie seems to stay out on german shepherds way,, I'm just worried about her not eatting,, plus she doesn't seem to be drinking as much as she didn't before either,, any one got ne hints on what I can do xx
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 30, 2009, 02:31 PM

Feed them in separate rooms, it could be that the new dog is more dominant and not allowing your yorkie to eat.

It could also be that the yorkie is a bit depressed because there's a new dog in the house.

These things usually work themselves out. Just make sure that you're not ignoring the yorkie, make sure the new pup knows the pecking order, that he's not first, the yorkie is.

Always feed the yorkie first (the more dominant dog eats first) and keep the new pup away until the yorkie is done. Same with water.

Hope it works.

Good luck and congrats on your new addition. :)
    traceyandmorgan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2009, 03:10 PM

Thing is though, my yorkie doent eat ata certain time she just eats when she want s and her bowl is in a different room,, I hope they can sort there differences out I do no its because of the german shephed,, but I don't want her to starve
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2009, 03:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by traceyandmorgan View Post
    thing is tho ,,my yorkie doent eat ata certain time she just eats when she want s and her bowl is in a different room ,,,,,,i hope they can sort there differences out i do no its cos of the german shephed ,,,, but i dnt want her to starve

I'd be concerned that the yorkie feels threatened because of the difference in sizes.

My dogs also self feed but they have since they were puppies and I've never had a problem.

Does your GSD also eat at no specific time - ?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2009, 06:12 PM
    There is an extensive discussion of dogs not eating in the sticky at the top of the forum.

Quite likely your Yorkie will discover not eating isn't making the new dog go away and start eating.

Oh, you need to serve it notice you are in charge. The key to most behavior problems is approaching things using the dog's natural instincts. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete For more on being top dog, see Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position, Letting your dog know you are the boss

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search