Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2009, 07:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Seems to me that the bipartisan reaction to the President's overall performance to date ;including the Geithner poor performance is generally negative.
    It's funny, but I seem to recall an awful lot of howling about the public's disenchantment with the Iraq war and Bush himself as being a reason we should submit to the majority opinion. Yet under Obama the public's opinion doesn't matter. The winds sure shift suddenly.

According to Kurtz ,the markets, nor the Left or Right like it. But we are apparently not permitted to voice our concerns. We should shut up because he "won" .
    I don't think so.
    Everybody is in favour of free speech. Hardly a day passes without its being extolled, but some people’s idea of it is that they are free to say what they like, but if anyone says anything back, that is an outrage. -Winston Churchill
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2009, 07:54 AM

Oh darn, Retail sales rebounded unexpectedly in January.

"The January report shows strong increases in sales of automobiles and in general merchandise stores... January's increase in retail sales was the biggest since November 2007.

Analysts polled by Reuters had forecast January retail sales to fall by 0.8 percent. Excluding motor vehicles, sales had been predicted to drop by 0.5 percent."
    Let the spin begin...
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2009, 08:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    Let the spin begin...
    Hello Steve:

M, kay.

Obama didn't even sign the bill yet, and it's working... He's amazing...

excon
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2009, 08:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello Steve:

M, kay.

Obama didnt even sign the bill yet, and it's working... He's amazing...
    That was good, lol. The shame is I'm sure some will actually believe that :D
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2009, 08:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello Steve:

M, kay.

Obama didnt even sign the bill yet, and it's working... He's amazing...

excon

Yet, within five minutes of the opening bell the stock market has dropped over 150 points today! YUP! Sure is a lot of confidence that the pork bill will do anything other than prolong the recession, likely make it deeper, and grow government bigger than it already is
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2009, 08:38 AM
    Maybe Too Little, Always Too Late

By BRUCE BARTLETT
    Published: January 23, 2008

The history of anti-recession efforts is that they are almost always initiated too late to do any good. This chart, based on recession timelines from the National Bureau of Economic Research, shows the enactment of stimulus plans is a fairly accurate indicator that we have hit the bottom of the business cycle, meaning the economy will improve even if the government does nothing. — Bruce Bartlett, author of “Impostor: How George W. Bush Bankrupted America and Betrayed the Reagan Legacy.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

But as Rahmbo says, you can't waste a good crisis.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2009, 08:45 AM

Down more ? I have to admit ;these buying opportunities are becoming tempting.
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2009, 08:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    down more ? I have to admit ;these buying opportunities are becoming tempting.
    And with that extra $13 think of all you can buy.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2009, 08:57 AM
    Roflmao
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Feb 12, 2009, 10:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasParent View Post
    Sadly, it seems that the same people who's positions don't change keep arguing over and over again. At times I wonder why I spend my energy here (and I expend much less than most in the political topics).

For myself, it's an extra of vacation day, and it's relatively cheap.

I would like to say, in the narrow window of my time at this site I have found that Speech is one of the few who can actually articulate, understand and even empathize with his opponents position while arguing what he thinks is right. As for the parroting, we all do it to some degree as our respective media information sources fill the dead space between the facts with opinion that we aren't always immune from.
    TP, nothing personal, but while I agree with you in part, I'm just not as easily amused.

I would like to say though that I finally get how disappointed and upset Bush supporters have been over the attacks on him; whether they were deserved or not, and I have been a harsh Bush critic. Now that my candidate is President, it's not easy to see him attacked by his opponents. I suppose some of the K'vetching on the part of the now loyal opposition is in part payback for the rough ride Bush had.

Yes! They are in their own little world of partisan politics. People in the unemployment just want work. People at the soup kitchen just want to eat. As a registered Independent I can be the harshest critic of Obama, and I voted for him. However he just got into office three weeks ago with a huge catastrophe to sort through.

Anyway, most people need a place to get their thoughts out; what good are they doing if they are kept bottled up in your head...:D (I think we all hope that with enough talk we will change some minds; maybe not today or tomorrow, but someday; in part to affirm ourselves and to be able to say I told you so to one more person. The ego, such a greedy little bugger....lol.
    Bullseye! If this site starts awarding checks based on egos they'll need government assistance, a bailout plan, or go broke.

The world has definitely been turned upside down when opposing nonsense from either party is partisan and biased. It's especially interesting to see ardent Bush, McCain and "anyone who may have voted for them" bashers complain of the "k'vetching" around here. But if it all bores you then no one is asking you to stick around, we'll do just fine in keeping up the tradition of holding the powers that be accountable without you.
    I never claimed to be an economist, why the heck should I offer the solution?
    Because otherwise you have no tangible credibility. And BTW accountability starts with ones own person. Personally I find it difficult to be highly critical of a situation, or decision, if in return I don't offer an alternative solution. We (the public) wouldn't even do that with our on children.
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2009, 11:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BABRAM View Post
    Yes! They are in their own little world of partisan politics. People in the unemployment just want work. People at the soup kitchen just want to eat. As a registered Independent I can be the harshest critic of Obama, and I voted for him. However he just got into office three weeks ago with a huge catastrophe to sort through.
    LOL, you crack me up Bobby. It's as if we should just chuck our beliefs aside and accept that partisanship is OK as long as it's tilted your direction.

Bullseye! If this site starts awarding checks based on egos they'll need government assistance, a bailout plan, or go broke.
    Expecting the first check are you?

Because otherwise you have no tangible credibility.
    I see, even though I'm not an expert in economics my putting forth a solution will give me "tangible credibility." The fact that your plumber knows how to use a snake gives him enough "tangible credibility" to perform your colonoscopy, too. It's odd that in your world refraining from offering a solution to things one is not an expert in means a loss of credibility. Most people see that as a virtue.

I have no doubt if I did offer a solution you'd howl about my not being an expert, so in your mind you win either way. I'll ask management here to get another check ready for you.

And BTW accountability starts with ones own person. Personally I find it difficult to be highly critical of a situation, or decision, if in return I don't offer an alternative solution. We (the public) wouldn't even do that with our on children.
    Good for you. I don't find it difficult at all to have and express an opinion on a current events board. I'll take full responsibility for every one of them, good, bad or anywhere in between. Now that's accountability.
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2009, 11:46 AM
    How about a little perspective from the experts:

George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2009, 12:12 PM
    How about a little perspective from the experts:

Not accessible...

Feb 12, 2009, 12:16 PM

I see, even though I'm not an expert in economics my putting forth a solution will give me "tangible credibility." The fact that your plumber knows how to use a snake gives him enough "tangible credibility" to perform your colonoscopy, too. It's odd that in your world refraining from offering a solution to things one is not an expert in means a loss of credibility. Most people see that as a virtue.

I have no doubt if I did offer a solution you'd howl about my not being an expert, so in your mind you win either way. I'll ask management here to get another check ready for you.

Good for you. I don't find it difficult at all to have and express an opinion on a current events board. I'll take full responsibility for every one of them, good, bad or anywhere in between. Now that's accountability.

Stevie-

For one, you confused virtue for ignorance. As for the rest, that was a premature mess of non correlated gibberish mixed with poor excuses.
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2009, 01:20 PM
    Stevie-

For one, you confused virtue for ignorance. As for the rest, that was a premature mess of non correlated gibberish mixed with poor excuses.
    Bobby, you really should stop listening to those voices inside your head.
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2009, 01:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by George_1950 View Post
    Not accessible....
    It wasn’t meant to be accessible, George, it’s rather self-explanatory.

Feb 12, 2009, 03:49 PM
    Bobby, you really should stop listening to those voices inside your head.
    That's your religion, not mine.
    galveston Posts: 451, Reputation: 60

Feb 12, 2009, 06:06 PM

I think the OP points out a truth; that is, the Left will never be happy until ALL voices of opposition are silenced. This is the approach of totalitarian governments, and we should be very afraid of that.
    Not being an expert, I am forced to rely on my own observations for my own opinions.
    Right now, I'm wavering between two opinions about Obama.
    He is either evil with a definite totalatarilan agenda or he is a dangerous buffoon.
    I kind of lean toward the latter though.
    Hey, don't unload on me here. My opinion is just as valid as yours is.
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2009, 09:10 PM
    That's your religion, not mine.
    Wow, attacking my religion now. I bet you consider that a virtue.
    cozyk Posts: 802, Reputation: 125

Feb 13, 2009, 09:26 AM

After reading all this , the only thing that comes to mind is 3rd grade bullies on the playground. Titt for Tatt

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why do Liberals get such a slating in American Politics ? [ 27 Answers ]

Seriously now, what is the problem with American Liberalism? Personally I can't see a problem with attempting to minimise the governments interference in with the populace or are, as seems to be the case, American Liberals attempting to subvert the overall nature of Liberalism? Am I...

So you enjoy watching American 'liberals' argue with themselves? [ 5 Answers ]

"The fence around the public demonstration zone outside the Democratic National Convention will be chicken wire or chain link, authorities revealed in U.S. District Court today." Chicken wire should suffice, right? See: DNC protests will be behind fence - The Denver Post

Is my sister acting nutty, or is it me? [ 6 Answers ]

My 46 year old sister, who is a married mother of two teenagers, met a single, straight male, aged 36, on a on-line discussion forum. The discussion forum is a long hair community discussion forum devoted to people growing their hair long. Yes, that's right, it's a discussion forum to support...

Why should I support liberals [ 30 Answers ]

I am a Black man 48 yrs old, I just wanted to know why I should vote for democrats or support liberals, I do not like nither of the two. I really think that liberalism is dangerous and liberals are phony, but I get shouted down when I express my veiw, why is that.

Liberals: [ 2 Answers ]

Do most conservatives call themselves right-wingers? HANK ;)

View more questions Search