Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ger_Le_Chef Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2003, 05:22 PM
    Stopping my bike and staying upright!
    Hi, I recently purchased a honda goldwing, (my first bike). I find it (of course!! ) to be heavy, and my problem is stopping! I can stop now without falling, but my stops are sloppy, I have to drag my foot before stopping, but would like to try something a little more professional... can you help me out with this proble?. if so I sure would appreciate it, thanks so much for taking time to read this... Gerry
    raymond47 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2004, 08:47 AM
    stopping my bike and staying upright!
    Come to a nice gradual stop and keep both feet on the bike till it is almost stopped. Put both feet down together and keep balance with the balls of your feet not letting either get overbalanced. Just before you stop put bike in 1st gear and keep clutch in. this protects you if you see the vehicle behind you doesn't stop you can at get out of there quickly as opposed to trying to get it in gear to move. Hope this helps a bit. I recommend a good training school as they will show you a lot of tricks you should know.
    clueless Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2004, 07:20 AM
    stopping my bike and staying upright!
    Good training school is a must.  your bike is too big for a beginner but no matter you can still learn on it.  Check out this site, it has a lot of useful info http://www.msgroup.org/DISCUSS.asp  You should watch what the motorcycle cops do, most of them have good habits and you could learn from them. Also, stop one of them and chat about learning to ride, they'll be happy to point out schools in your area.

When you stop left foot down, right foot on the rear brake, always in first gear.  Check to make sure your bike is not too tall for you.

Now to the important subject of trusting the advice of strangers on such important issues.  Unless you know the person is an expert in his field don't listen to their input, it's your life on the line.  For example what happens if you need to do an emergency stop?  What happens then to the "stop gradually" technique?  Also, keep dragging your feet and one day you'll hit a pothole and brake one of your legs as it hits the pavement or gets stuck in the hole...

School, is the best way to go... Good luck out there.
    Melinda Posts: 102, Reputation: 20

Mar 22, 2006, 09:02 AM
    You're not slowing down enough to come to a "neat" stop... it's not like a car remember, you have to start gearing down sooner...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What size bike [ 2 Answers ]

I'm a new rider, I'm 5'5'' weigh about 125 lbs and am a woman. What size bike should I be riding? Is a 125 (4 stroke) too small for my size? It feels more comfortable and easy to handle than a 230 or 250.

Bike riding and weight loss [ 10 Answers ]

I want to start bike riding to lose weight/peace of mind. I am on a pretty tight schedule time wise and want to know if I bike for twenty minutes pedeling the entire time, some uphill, will I reach the point where I start to burn fat? I am 5'7, 194lbs if that helps.

Central air unit staying on? [ 15 Answers ]

I've noticed over the past two weeks that our central air unit is staying on most of the day. We have it set at 75 and have it on AUTO. Now I know when it hits 76 that its suppose to kick on.. and kick off at 74 right? Well the problem is that it will run for about 6 hours during the day and not...

Sold motorcycle, got cash, buyer won't pick up bike? [ 5 Answers ]

Two days ago on the 12th a man responded to an ad we had in the local paper about a motorcycle we owned and were selling. He came by w/ his girlfriend and after about 30 minutes of discussion between the two of them, ultimately bought the bike. He did not want to ride it prior to buying it...

Weighing staying [ 8 Answers ]

I know my husband is abusive. I have four daughters, 2-11-15-17. He is 70% good and when he is bad, I hate him. But I weigh the stay or go. It would create more of a problem and upset the whole applecart to leave then to let the problem subside. I have spoken with my girls about situation at...

View more questions Search